Lima Beans


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Miraflores
May 16th 2008
Published: May 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Oh Lima, what a city...it really grows on you, sort of like an underappreciated mole. I had resolved the city was mainly just a sespool of smog and crazy drivers. It is in fact a sespool of that, plus some beautiful views and plazas and people. We hopped on some buses into the center of Lima and ended up in the shantytowns accidentally which was scary as hell. The plaza mayor though, once we arrived proved to be quite nice, with literally about 200 police and assault vehicles because of El Cumbre that happened today. We ended up meeting some colorful people who talked to us about subjects ranging from Obama to the meaning of certain English words such as "cyanide, brawler, moral ledger" and "toddling". Also, I befriended a stray dog who immediately grew quite fond of Grant and I. The dog, who was aptly named Jose, literally followed us into restaurants and bathrooms and stores and museums. It was sad to say goodbye but all good things must end.
We also started eating some authentic Peruvian food the last 6 or so meals which almost always consists of some combination of rice, potatoes, and meat and preluded by ceviche or soup. Also, most restaurant owners don´t look very kindly upon overtly American tourists, which has been a struggle, but my Spanish has been passable.
Central Lima was yesterday and today we visited the cliffs overlooking the beach and it was definitely the most beautiful place we had seen yet. We went with our friend Bill who never married and appears to be in his 60s and unrecognized officially by the US government even though he served in the army...? (I don´t know, he´s got a bunch of cool ass stories though). But the cliffs looking over the ocean and the parks around it were gorgeous - wish we had found the area sooner. Tomorrow though it is goodbye to Lima and hello to Arequipa after a 16 hour bus ride. I plan on OD´ing on sleep pills and waking up rested at 10:30 am in the Arequipa bus station. Ok, Ciao!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.065s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb