Lima - Peru


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Miraflores
June 18th 2007
Published: June 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We touched down in Lima Airport at about lunch time and we were both shocked at the contrast between here and Brazil / Argentina. At last it felt as though we really were in the depths of SA! Although Lima is the capital of Peru it was very under developed compared to Rio and BA. We hopped in our taxi and feared for our lives.....the driving was mental. They don't like to use their breaks, they'd prefer to use their horns!!! Seems to work mind you! haha. We stayed in the Mirofloures area of the city which is where all the hostels are. We hadn't booked in anywhere and couldn't get into our first choice hostel but wondered down the road and managed to get into a place called "The Flying Dog". It was briliant! Only a small place but we had a great laugh here - anything goes!!!!!! Met a couple of irish lads - Paddy and Paddy (I kid you not!) and they showed us the sights....we only spent two days here but that was long enough.....after the BA experience and party time here we needed a rest!!!! haha!

We did do some cultural things here, we took another death cab into the centre and walked around for ages, there was lots to see! Everything is so beautiful and cleverly constructed, the contrast between the city centres and the suburbs is so vast it's hard to believe you are in the same place!!! There was a big palace building with lots of police surrounding it (with tanks and guns!), Lydia made the mistake of sitting on the palace wall for a photo only to be told off by them - not a good move!!!!

We wanted to visit some of the beaches for a surf (now that we are pros and all!) but the weather wasn't good enough - In Lima between March and August a massive blanket of fog covers the coastline......shame but we consolled ourselves with plenty of Havana Club rum so please don't feel to sorry for us - haha!

From Lima we headed to Cusco......very nice scenery but quite a scarey journey up and down the mountains - especailly when your sitting at the front on the top deck of a double decker bus - OMG!!!!!!!!

PS - No sign of Paddington Bear in Lima either - a letter to the tourist board on our return we think!!!!! tut tut!!!!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



28th June 2007

from paris to berlin....
hey there!! photos look really cool. take it by the lack of blog entries means the partys are going well. m xx
30th June 2007

Hi Hon
Hi Anna, for God's sake write something!!!! It looks as though you are both having a wonderful time there judging from all of the photos! Take care, be safe and I will see you when you get back to work.
4th July 2007

hola!
Hola! You look like you are having lots and lots of fun and giggles and I'm getting very jealous. I've only just realised I could make a comment and you could see it on here (sorry I'm blonde). So just thought I would say hey and watch out for cheeky monkeys. I hear they are quite mischievious and sneak up when you're not expecting it and toe rape you from behind . So be warned (don't worry I was only joking - but you never know with monkeys)! Lots of love Rachel xxxxxxxxx P.S. Please don't fall in any of those fancy waterfalls, you might get wet!

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb