Escape from Lima


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » La Libertad » Trujillo
February 16th 2007
Published: February 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived at Trujillo at 8.45am after a most comfortable semi cama overnight bus ride on Cruz del Sur from Lima. Accompanied by Yolande our proxy 18 year old Dutch daughter, we caught a taxi to Huanchaco via the Movil Tours bus terminal where we booked tickets to Tarapoto for Sunday at 3pm.

Just before we left Lima last night, Jess and Gretta rang us at the Point Hostel on Skype to tell us that they had arrived safely in Sydney.
Now we could relax!! But we didn't have another Cerveja (beer) before we left to ensure we didn't have to spend too much time in the banyo on the overnight bus. Balance in those bus banyos is a real problem , particularly for John who refuses to sit down but doesn't like spraying all over the cubicle as we go over bumps or around corners.

We have called this entry 'Escape from Lima' because we were attacked and robbed within 4 hours of our arrival there on Saturday night 10 February. Liz was stabbed and got a few bruises and other cuts in a failed attempt on her backpack, moneybelt and watch. John gave up on his money belt when he had a gun to the head and lost about US$100 and the emergency credit card - the one that replaced the one that was pickpocketed in Cusco. Liz actually forgot about the gun (and John) as she was fighting off her assailant who had the knife. There was no way he was going to get our one remaining set of photos. Shewas kicking and screaming and there were about 30 people around but they all just quietly went away and left us to it! Two days earlier, Jess had her rucksack (and other set of photos) stolen by a taxi driver at 6am after we´d been dropped in a new city (Ica) in Peru by an overnight bus and were mobbed by cab drivers. All were trying their best to get our business and we were negaotiating privces when one slimy bastard slunk away with the rucksack. We survived to tell the tale but the girls aren´t so sad to be leaving now! Liz was transported with all the bells and whistles to the Anglo American hospital here in Lima, where she had stitches in her right wrist, left elbow and the back of her head. But the loser didn´t get anything from her. He must be so embarrassed not being able to overpower a 54 year old woman even with a knife. There was never a thought that she should/could give in - she became possessed!! The insurance company is going to truly love us!

Now trying to sort out our next replacement Visa card. Have been to the ATM in Huanchaco, where there is no bank, and it declared that the debit card we are using has expired, which it hasn't, so have been on the phone to the bank in Australia and now need to work out how we can get money at all!!
That'll be our job for the afternoon, then we'll go and explore the beach.

Advertisement



20th February 2007

oh my
Well, that's not encouraging at all. You all seem to be handling it pretty well. I think I would be curled up in a ball and refusing to go out after an experience like that.
25th February 2007

Mugging
So sorry to read your blog about the troubles you had in Lima. We're on our way there in a few days and will definitely keep your horrific tale in mind. Hope you are both ok now. All the best, Jude (a.k.a. inspirado)

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb