2ND WEEKEND!!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Junin » Huancayo
August 18th 2009
Published: August 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello!

On Saturday morning we went to Torre Torre which, alike everything else here, you have to climb up some very steep hills to reach! As we walked through a small village on our way, many children ran up to us eager to practice their english shouting ´hello, i love you, goodbye!´ Torre Torre was great to see and made some brilliant photos, but i´m pretty certain that it is the most terrifying thing i have ever done! It is in the middle of nowhere and definitely not tourist friendly! We had to climb along thin strips of rock, whilst very high up, on loose footing and when i tried to grab hold of rocks they fell away! I can´t explain how horrible it was at times, but it was just about worth it!

On the way back we heard some live music and decided to see where it was coming from. After walking a few neighbourhoods we ended up at a ´Santiago´- a big outdoor party that was being celebrated by a group of 200-300 family and friends. It was fascinating: the women were dressed in big hats and very brightly coloured skirts, there was a live band playing, lot of dancing (not the dancing i am used to and it was accompanied by shouting ´ha ha ha , ha ha ha´)! Whilst we were just intending to pass by, we soon realised that this was definitely not an option! We were each handed a bottle of beer and they insisted that we joined their celebrations! We arrived at the party at 1pm and by 7pm we had been on a coach and stopped off at 4 different places to dance in the street and drink more beer! It is considered very impolite if you decline beer and i can´t stress how much they forced our way! At the final stop we went into a huge hall where there was a speech (unfortunatly my spanish is very poor and i couldn´t understand a word), followed by a feast (again it is considered impolite not to accept) and we had numerous varieties of bread, nuts, roast chicken, potatoes! Then to round off our evening.... even more beer and dancing! It was a great opportunity to experience Peruvian culture and everyone was very welcoming. The party continued into the next morning, but we were unable to stay past 7pm (you cannot stay without drinking a lot more beer, which felt impossible at the time and after travelling around we weren´t sure exactly where this party had ended up)! However, everyone at the party was very welcoming, caring and fun, we felt safe in their company and had an unforgettable afternoon.

I am looking forward to putting some photos up on my return, you really have to see this party to believe it!

2 weeks completed, 2 weeks to go!

Bye for now

XxXx

Advertisement



21st August 2009

from your cousin vicky who is missing you nd cnt wait to see u gain
heyy, i've read all of your blogs so far. they have been intresting to read and i can't wait untill you write more so i can read them. but i'll have to wait for a week because we're going to wales next week and i won't be able to access a computer to read them, hope you have fun for the rest of your visit. see you when you come back. vicky xxx

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0228s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb