Final Thoughts from the Land of the Alpaca


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Junin » Huancayo
May 26th 2008
Published: May 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

They´re really cute, and fuzzy. Alpacas that is.
So we are leaving to volunteer for 2 weeks in jungle. Its hard to believe that our trip is half over and we have to leave all of the kids here. So much has happened over the past month it has certainly flown by.
On the weekend, we walked to Torre Torre, a rock formation just outside Huancayo-- very reminiscent of a tiny grand canyon (or so I have heard). We also visited Huancayo´s local zoo. Lions and tigers and bears, oh my. I feel like most of the animals could have broken out of their corrugated tin cages if they wanted to... the fox definately looked like it was preparing for it.
i myself (kristina) didnt go to torre torre or the zoo, but i did go on a hike to a snow mountain (Andrea missed out on this one because of a lingering flu). We arrived after two hours of driving and drank masses of cocoa tea. This, combined with the altitude made us a little giggly. The hike was really strenuous, but the view was worth it, besides-- when else am i going to slide down a glacier so close to the equator? i dont exactly know how high it was, but we passed by a shelter called camp 5520, so im going to assume we were pretty high up.
Both Andrea and Kristina also had the immense pleasure of experiencing a flea infestation of our persons. A lot of the kids at ladrillera have fleas, so its inevitable that some jump across as the kids climb all over you. Kristina only spent a couple days at Ladrillera, so she claims she got them from Andrea-- Andrea says otherwise. For all of you at home who are thinking-- what do I do when I have fleas Kristina and Andrea? The answer is to wash everything you own and air out your matress. You know, if you ever find yourself with fleas.
i suppose we will update more from the jungle later, if we can find internet close by. Maybe the professor can make us a coconut phone and laptop. we may even meet up with william! (elaine, im thinking of you)
Miss you all at home, and hope things are going well.
Kristina and Andrea

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb