mornings in kristina land


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Junin » Huancayo
May 23rd 2008
Published: May 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

hola from peru! this is kristina, just wanting to let all of you faithful readers out there what its like in the day of a peruvian volunteer.
this last week, i have been waking up at around 8:00 to the sound of dogs barking, taxis honking, the recitation of spanish verbs etc, and the occasional herd of cows or sheep passing by. and no, we dont live in the country, or even near it for that matter. for whatever reason, herds of farm animals will trot by on our residential street and end up in a park, where they will eat and leave poop for us to step in. i eat breakfast, and walk about 15 minutes to the combi stop. for those of you who dont know, a combi is a regular sized van, seating 15 people, usually containing 30 and allowing for no personal comfort whether you sit or stand. there is a person at the door who screames where the combi is going at random passersby, and the combi is always the awkward highpoint of my day. only a few days ago, andrea caught the combi guy taking pictures of her with his camera phone. priceless.
anyways, the mornings from 9 to 11 are spent at ladriera, a brick-making community. the kids are usually well behaved, but i´ve had to kick a few kids out for the day. its really hilarious actually, because all i can say at that point is ¨afuera¨ which means outside. i think im more an object of humour for the kids, due to my blonde hair and inability to speak spanish. its lots of fun though, and the kids love it when i play pogs or soccer or skip with them.
anyways, more of this sort of thing tomorow, i have to go or i´ll be kicked off of the computer by the threatening guy at the front

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb