From Lima To Huancayo


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Junin » Huancayo
December 4th 2006
Published: December 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone!! It has been exactly a week since we left Toronto but it feels like weeks. So many things have happened that its hard to keep track of the days gone by 😊 Lima itself is a mix between extreme poverty and wealth, which is evident eveywhere you turn. Leaving us with a mix of emotions as we left the airport on our way to our hostel.
Exploring Lima was exciting, the city is a buzz of energy all day long. Everyone is either taking a taxi or hopping on the bus (cambis), which are hilarious little buses, that stop anywhere on the street to pick people up. Even in the middle of intersections!!! all, you have to do is wave in their direction and they will stop immediatley for you, its crazy. We took a cambi down to Central Lima and went exploring around the Plaza de armas, and visited a 16th century San Fransiscan Museum to see the Catacombs, thousands of bones underneath an old cathedral.....creepy. The rest of our time in Lima was spent walking around taking in the sights and smells of the city. Our last day in Lima we went SURFING in the district of Miraflores.....it was awesome, the water was warm and the waves.....were huge...it was my first time surfing so, okay maybe they weren´t that huge...haha......it was so much fun.

Getting anxious to see more of Peru we decided to head into the central highlands, to learn some spanish in Huancayo. We are staying in a cute little hostel run by a local family, we get to have all our meals with them and get a taste for some home cooked peruvian food. YUMMY. There is a little garden in the back where, their pet parrot has a nack for coming over and stealing your bread. He is a hilarious little bird that walks around all day saying hola, and laughing.

We are taking spanish lessons which are really great, and trying to practice with everyone we meet. Yesterday we went for a hike just outside of Huancayo to see land formations called the Torre Torre, it was really cool. We walked through a little village where children would run up to us shouting hello, and yelling goodbye to us as we passed...the only words they knew, it was so cute. Along the way we were attacked by a stray dog which Jay held off with a rock in hand and his boot out, I took off running into the field next to the path and was saved by a little 9 year old girl that lead me around the dog back to the road it was adorable. She saw me scared and came running up to me, grabbing my hand and leading me to safety.

So, thats it for now we plan to spend the next week here learning spanish and enjoying the fantastic meals. Then maybe heading into the Amazon for some adventure.

miss you all !!!!!!






Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb