Machu Picchu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica
November 26th 2009
Published: November 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Machu Picchu - Friday 13th November

It rained all night but we were up and set off to the gate that opened at 5.30am and would allow us to trek the last stretch to the Sun Gate and Machu Picchu. The early start as we were the first group there and we patiently waited. We set off walking at a fast pace soon to be overtaken by the idiot Aussies that had haunted us for the whole of the trek. As we neared the sun gate Jon decided to decided to add a little a drama to the situation by throwing himself off the cliff, accidently of course (this is what Friday the 13th´s are made for!). Percy was quick to bring him up from the 5 metres he fell but he was a very lucky boy, a few more metres on and the story could have been very different.

It took us an hour to get to the Sun Gate and when we got there a magnificent view was awaiting. We could see Machu Picchu nestled between several mountains, with light patches of mist hovering above. Although it wasn´t clear enough to see the sunrise the mist gave Machu Picchu a magical feel so we stood and savoured the moment. We trekked the final few steps down to Machu Picchu so we could really begin to see the site up close and personal. Percy gave us an interesting and informative tour before giving us the freedom to explore it for ourselves. I could really understand why it is seen as one of the new 7 wonders of the world. Amazing history not to mention engineering.

We took the bus back down the mountain to Aguas Caliente where both Bowks and I headed to the hot springs which were great to soak our weary limbs in but nothing in comparison to Colorado Springs. We met back up with the gruop and set off back to Cusco. First by train where we were entertained by the conductor with a dance display with a toy llama then a fashion show of alpaca attire. All quite strange. We then hopped onto a bus that drove us the remainder of the distance back to Cusco. We arranged a last supper for the whole group at a restaurant that Percy knew. We collectively decided we woiuld order a guinea pig with all the trimmings that we would try between the whole group, it being a delicacy in Peru. The food was great, the guinea pig though good to try we certainly won´t be making a habit. We said our thank you´s to Chill and Percy giving them a bottle of wine each and Percy a book he wanted which I think he was really quite touched by. Our final farewells were said to some of the group as they were leaving next morning and heading their seperate ways. We went to bed that night thinking what a brilliant few days we´d had, big thanks to all the group.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb