What I like to call the Stonehenge of Peru: Nazca Lines


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica
April 19th 2009
Published: April 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Last week I had the unique opportunity to see the mysterious site - the Nazca Lines. In the desert, south of Lima, lies the small city of Nazca. The Nazca people were actually a pre-Incan society that lived along the coast of Peru in the dry desert. Before going to the Nazca lines we headed to the Chauchilla Cemetary in the desert where we were able to see well-preserved pre-Incan graves. Some of the people still had their skin and hair due to the dry conditions of their burial.

However, I have to say the best part of our time in Nazca was when I had the opportunity to fly over the lines. For a mere 50 USD I was taken up in a small five seater plane and flown over the desert. Since Kristina did not want to fly in a small plane, I braved the ancient Peruvian flying technology by myself with four other 60 year old Japanese tourists. Much to my surprise I had a very smooth flight - much better than what we have experienced with the airline - Star Peru on our internal flights!

I flew over the lines for approximately half an hour getting to witness the pre-Incan mystery in the desert. The nazca lines are a series of drawings made in the sand by removing the dark top layer of the sand to reveal a lighter layer underneath. This technique is used to created line drawings of figures such as a monkey, condor, dog, frog, person, etc... The interesting part is that these drawings can only be seen from the sky - you canĀ“t see them from the ground. Which makes one wonder what the purpose of the lines were if no one in that time could actually see them! Some ideas that have been thrown around would include drawings for the gods or an astrological calendar. Whatever they were - they were pretty amazing to see overhead!

I also just got back from the Amazon which was an absolutely AMAZING EXPERIENCE!!! More to come on that soon!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



14th March 2010

name missing
You have not said which company's plane you flew.... and contact details if any you have.... Thanks...

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb