Nazca


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Nazca
March 20th 2006
Published: March 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi all!

Before I get onto Nazca, just to say we did spend 2 days at the Colca Canyon, but it was so foggy that we didn't see any condors and we barely saw the canyon. But at least we were still up at 5.30am to try and have a look! The only highlight was the evening spent in 40 degree natural hot springs! Fantastic!

Next stop...Nazca lines!

We had to take a night bus here, and it wasn't too bad if you excuse the 3 hour delay (left at 1am) and the stop 20 mins from Nazca because the engine was overheating and the people downstairs were choking in their fumes. But hey, at least there were no borders to cross!

We didn't arrive at our hotel until 11.30am instead of 6.30am which meant that all our tours had to be rescheduled for later in the day and we didn't have an afternoon free to play in the hotel's swimming pool! Eric was particularly annoyed at that.

First stop was the mini airport where we boarded a tiny 5-seater aeroplane to view the Nazca lines from above - the only way to see them properly. Big Mistake! (For me anyway). I was only able to see about 4 out of the 12 because the aeroplane was so jerky up and down and side to side that I felt sick and didn't enjoy it one bit, especially when I had to hand over the money afterwards! History in a summary- they are about 1,000 years old and noone knows why they were made and for what reason. The funky monkey is 90m long!

I recovered for lunch - in 'el griego' restaurant - before starting a new tour of the cemetry and pottery workshop. Thrilling! Noone was too pleased about this as it was at least 30 degrees and there was a swimming pool tempting us back at the hotel. Nevertheless, we got to see some pretty old mummies and skulls in holes in the ground, and then got to see how pottery was made (pretty similar to how they make it in schools nowadays). It wasn't too bad but after the night bus most of the group did not want a lecture.

Eric got to splash in the pool a bit, but didn't enjoy it as much as he should have when he found two beetles in there keeping him company! Lennon was doing the breaststroke while McCartney seemed to be drifting peacefully, having lost his fight for survival!

Tomorrow we´re off sand boarding...yipeeee!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The WhaleThe Whale
The Whale

It's on the left-hand side!
The AstronautThe Astronaut
The Astronaut

Or some say it's an Owl-man...
Hot springsHot springs
Hot springs

Don't ask what they're doing....weirdos!


Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb