But they´re just lines!!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Nazca » Nazca Lines
November 18th 2004
Published: November 18th 2004
Edit Blog Post

The Nazca CrewThe Nazca CrewThe Nazca Crew

Everyone had a window seat, which was good. I don´t know how they make a profit when selling 30 min flights for US$40. That´s me on the left, then Paul, Ross, Rebecca and Lundy.
Wednesday afternoon we caught a bus though to Nazca. By the way, "we" now consisted of Paul and Rebecca as well as Ross. Paul and Bec are from England, while Ross is from Scotland. We were all heading in the same direction so it made sense to stick together.

We got in about 4pm, and again there were people everywhere trying to take us to their hostel or sell us plane flights over the Nasca Lines. We managed to get away from them with all our money and bags and walked down to the hostel that we had chosen from our (usually) trusty Lonely Planet guides.

Once we had dumped our stuff in the rooms, a guy known as Rastaman (I guess it's the Peruvian dreadlocks) took us around in a car to get our bus tickets organised have a look around town. He was actually very helpful, we had everything organised within half an hour, so we could just chill for the rest of the afternoon.

Thursday morning we went and saw the star attraction of Nazca, The Nazca Lines, which apparently turned this little backwater into a tourist mecca in 1920. We had organised a 30
Our trusty pilotOur trusty pilotOur trusty pilot

He sure knows how to get the plane over on its side.
minute flight the previous evening for US$40 each, which compared with a reef flight in Cairns is a little too cheap really. They came around at 8am to pick us up and we were in the air by 9:15am.

We flew over the first few figures and I was feeling fine, but after about 20mins I couldn´t wait to get off the plane. It was good that the pilot did 2 steep banking passes of each figure but all that twisting and turning soon had the motion sickness setting in. Cold sweat, stomach in a knot, sound familar. We went past the last two figures then flattened out for the flight back to the airport. I started feeling much better, but was still glad to see solid ground.

The lines were very interesting and the flight was worth it, but at the end of the day they´re just lines in the desert. I think the dunes were much better.

Thursday night we are catching an overnight bus to Arequipa. It leaves here at 10:30pm and gets in there at about 6am.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

The HummingbirdThe Hummingbird
The Hummingbird

This is one of the more famous figures, it´s called the Hummingbird, for obvious reasons. You see this one on all shirts that they sell here.


18th November 2004

G'day mate!
Well, sounds as if you are having a blast. Look forward to seeing you here in the Minnesota snow! Sauli and Jenn

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb