Look below Ellie it´s an Alien


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Nazca » Nazca Lines
July 16th 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Arrived at 5am in Nazca, and as the rooms were not ready, we watched the Nazca Lines video, very informative, ate breakfast and relaxed by the pool before our flight. Nice warm weather as getting nearer the equator!

We took to the air, at 12.55pm in a light aircraft to see the Nazca lines. There were great views of mountainous scenery and we saw various shapes including the astronaut (sometimes described as an alien), Condor, and geometric shapes, but unfortunately not the monkey. Amazingly these shapes have survived all the various earthquake waves. Lots of dipping and diving in the air, in a noisy light aircraft.

Spread over 500 km of arid land the Nazca lines are a mystery to their creation. Some believe they were an astronomical calendar, while others suggest they are ritual walkways, alien landing sites, or representations of Shaman´s dreams, but no-one really knows!!

In the afternoon we visited the cemetery of Chauchilla, a macabre collection of bones, skulls and mummies. It was interesting although rather disturbing and scary, as included sacrificed mummified babies with twisted rib cages, horrible! Lots of the tombs within the graveyard have been raided by grave robbers leaving only sunken
holes in the ground. In fact it was the grave robbers that discovered the graveyard. There were areas of hardened sand where the mummies blood had dripped, and brown skin still visible, horrifying images. The excavated reassembled graves vary in size, depending on the importance of the person. On the way back, we also saw a snake, owls, Road Runners and numerous vultures circling the nearby rubbish tip.






Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb