The Nazca Lines


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Nazca » Nazca Lines
November 27th 2006
Published: November 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

in the planein the planein the plane

Nazca, Peru

The Nazca Lines

 South America » Peru » Nazca » Nazca Lines By TheTouringTexan
November 27th 2006
Andrew Stone Husmann
The Nazca lines are extremely large, old formations carved into the deserts of Nazca, which have been well preserved over hundreds and thousands of years thanks to the lack of precipitation. Only recently have anthropologists come up with a likely theory as to their purpose. They think the giant formations were used for ritual processions, led by the shamans. Some of the designs are of animals, in which the community is asking for some attribute associated with that animal. The formations in which geometrical lines radiate from small hills represent rivers flowing from the distant Andes, which were the lifeline of the agrarian Nazca indians. Through dating of pottery and ice core samples on glaciers, the scientists have shown the increase in this type of design coincided with a shift in the Humbolt current, which caused a 40 yr drought. Also, designs showing alien like figures holding orbs are representative of human sacrifice, where the orbs are human heads being offered to the river, asking it to flow.

On many of the pictures I used enhancements to make the shapes easier to see.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

the spiderthe spider
the spider

Nazca, Peru
the hummingbirdthe hummingbird
the hummingbird

Nazca, Peru
the condorthe condor
the condor

Nazca, Peru


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0294s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb