Nazca Lines


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Nazca » Nazca Lines
January 2nd 2007
Published: January 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Post the New Years day big sleep, the tour took us to the site of the Nazca Lines and Chauchilla Cemetery. The only way to see the lines is from the air, 25 minute flight to circle around all the various symbols. A video later in the day explained various theories of the lines. The most popular belief is that around the 600 AD, a period of drought for several decades caused the Nazcan people to begin drawing huge symbols in the desert as offering to the Gods, preying for rain. The majority of the lines aligned with significant mountains ranges, or sources of water, the layouts trying to coax the Gods to deliver water.

The second part of the day was at the Chauchilla Cemetary of the Nazca people. The ghastly sites showed the traditional burial practices. Bodies had vital organs removed, arm and leg ligaments cut and placed in foetal positions, facing the rising sun of the east. The arid landscape preserves these bodies, but as they are exposed for the purpose of the museum this causes rapid degradation.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Chauchilla CemeteryChauchilla Cemetery
Chauchilla Cemetery

Male is on the left, cheek bones are different...
Femoo gets a push startFemoo gets a push start
Femoo gets a push start

Who said you canĀ“t push start a 17 tonne truck with a few good men!


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb