Father's Day Fiesta


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Sacred Valley
June 16th 2006
Published: September 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

School began conventionally. We did time & routines with 2A, which was good fun. Then Luci & I were given a heap of invites for the male teachers. Could we find them all? No chance. It took us ages to track them down (because, of course, the majority weren't in classes teaching!).
The ceremony was supposed to start at 11, however, in true Peruvian style, the power was out. However, we couldn't teach 4A because they were making some magazine on the wall for Father's Day that they hadn't finished (which is about right for the average school day too).
Eventually, after emergency battery purchases, the ceremony began using a standard twin cassette player. First the tiny primary kids did a dance dressed up as different professions. Then the older primary students did the 'dance of the anaconda' dressed as jungle dwellers, with the lead carrying a snake that looked just like my brother's Ikea one! This was followed by the secondary students reciting poems & speeches round a table. Rosario & Marco from 4B then did the marinero dance (traditional coastal dance with lots of handkerchief waving). The final act was the female teachers' traditional dance in all their multi-coloured finery (I hadn't learnt the dance due to illness, so was excused), & the kids loved it! I have to mention the 'behind the scenes' trauma surrounding these outfits though. You will notice in the photos that there were 3 pink & 3 black outfits. This was because the hire shop in Cusco didn't have 6 outfits the same. Well, everyone wanted the nicer black ones & the larger plumes on their hats. I was glad to be out of it. Actually, I should also point out that each of the teachers meticulously braided their hair, most weaving in black wool to ensure they had long braids. Notice that you can't see a single hair on anyone, never mind these braids.
After everyone had changed, all the teachers headed to the lab (it is full of dusty display cabinets full of stuff, including a complete mummy, & usually operates as the staffroom unless there are classes in it). We were then served cheap red wine (I mean really rough) & a huge plate of stuffed peppers, 2 large baked potatoes & a massive piece of chicken. I ate my potatoes & took the chicken home in a little bag, saying
Primary StudentsPrimary StudentsPrimary Students

Fathers Day Speech
it was for my family (I had paid for it after all). We then gave presents to all the men; humorous cigarette & wine clocks. This was followed by much drinking & dancing. I took my chicken home about 2 (in time for a second lunch) & the cats loved it!

Drink of the Day: Bright Yellow Kola Real


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 9; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb