Sacred Valley


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Sacred Valley
August 5th 2012
Published: August 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Went on a day tour today as the others were starting their trek to Machu Picchu. Angela and I went to Sacred Valley. We stopped by Pisac ruins and wandered through Incan ruins and then wandered through hundreds of bussed to get back down the hill! You have not seen a traffic jam until you have huge tourist busses and other traffic going both directions on a single lane, where busses are parked, and along a cliff!

We were late getting to Pisac town which meant only 20 minutes in the country's famous market 😞

Lunch was had in Urubamba town on our way to Ollantaytambo Ruins. This one is shaped as a llama. There are so many interesting things about how it was built in relation to astronomy. For example, it is situated exacly so the summer and winter solstice sunrises line up perfectly in two valleys. The first touch of sun is the llama's eye! The Sacred Valley River follows the Milky Way and the starrs are reflected in it like a mirror under the right conditions. The Incas were amazing! Everyone keeps saying "Just imagine what it would be like if the Spanish had lost!"


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Pisac MarketPisac Market
Pisac Market

The dream that never came :(
OllantaytamboOllantaytambo
Ollantaytambo

There were just a few people there . . .
Ollantaytambo 3Ollantaytambo 3
Ollantaytambo 3

The view where the Incas brought the stones up the ramp.
Ollantaytambo 4Ollantaytambo 4
Ollantaytambo 4

Can you see the face? It looks directly at the puma constellation on summer solstice.


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb