Ruins of Pisac


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Sacred Valley
February 20th 2006
Published: March 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

The sacred valley, about 20km north of Cuzco, is a lush valley of Rio Urubamba surrounded by big green mountains. In the valley is the town of Pisac and on a hilltop next to the town are the ruins of an ancient Inca village. The ruins are overlooking the river valley offering splendid views.

From Cuzco it's possible to take a train straight to Machu Picchu, but it would have been quite expensive (65USD) so we decided to take the local buses to Ollantaytambo and the cheaper train from there. From Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu the train is the only option, there is no road. Or actually you could also walk the Inca trail but that is even more expensive than the train (300USD). Pisac and Ollantaytambo are small towns in the Sacred Valley of Rio Urubamba. The Inca's lived in the valley and built their houses on the hills. While walking to the ruins it seemed that Inca's always choce the places which are the most difficult to reach. Very beautiful places overall and the stonework was just incredible.

Taking the local buses from Cuzco to Pisac and to Ollantaytambo took us over the mountains and down the river valley with beautiful scenery. It cost a couple of soles (1USD) three hours in the bus. Then taking the 2 hour train to Machu Picchu was 44USD. A rip-off I say.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Catching a breath at the topCatching a breath at the top
Catching a breath at the top

The posse: Matt, Martina, Kirsi, Jenny and Sofia


Tot: 0.213s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 91; dbt: 0.082s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb