Night with the locals


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Raqchi
May 4th 2007
Published: May 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We drove from Cusco, arriving at dusk. We very quickly did a tour of the ruins (Wiraqocha Temple) that are there. This is a unique temple because the base of the walls were stone but the upper sections were made of adobes(sun-dried mud-bricks).

We did a home stay in Raqchi that night. A bunch little ladies in traditional dress accepted a couple of us each into their homes. Our host was called Maria and she was probably the oldest one there. She lives above the main road and we had to trek all the way to the road, along the road and up a hill to her place. She had a separate room for us and there was a loo in an out building. All was made of mud bricks like the rest of the house. It was comfortable and Maria made us feel welcome. She made us a fantastic dinner. While we were waiting for dinner Pieter saw an animal scurry across the kitchen. He said it was a rat. Rae said it was more likely to be a guinea pig. And when we got a closer look, the kitchen was full of guinea pigs, at least 10, all squeaking away. And it should be mentioned that they are not kept as pets. They will be dinner one day.

After dinner, Maria and her daughter helped to dress us in traditional clothes. We looked funny. Pieter had his poncho on. We all gathered and there was a ceremony where we blessed coca leaves for Pacha Mama and some god whose name escapes me. We had to blow on the leaves and put them in cups for burial. It was kind of embarrassing and funny as we had to do this individually from oldest to youngest. And then there was dancing. Pieter danced with Maria.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 22; qc: 107; dbt: 0.1084s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb