The Sacred Valley - Ollantaytambo


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Ollantaytambo
January 23rd 2007
Published: February 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

That morning we left Cuzco (l´ll need to spend more time there when we get back) for the sacred valley.

We stopped off at a village which was the home of most of our Inca trek porters. It was increadbly basic and very poor, but it was a typical Andean/Quechuan village. I was glad I went there as most people dont get the chance to and see what life is like for a large proportion of the population.

We went to Pisac, where we started a 2 hour walk in the surrounding mountains (warmup for the Inca trail) and saw a great inca watch tower/post. We also saw the manmade Inca canal which runs through Pisac and for the first time some impressive terraces.

We had lunch in Pisac (starters and main course arrived at the same time causing great confusion) and I managed to buy some gifts from the splendid market (although my bargining skills need a little work.)

We then transfered to the Inca town of Ollantaytambo, which is an amazing place (the only town which uses the original inca buildings.) We visited the ruins which include the surrounding area looks like something out of Lord of the rings (helms deep or something). Infact Ollantaytambo was the home of first resistance against the Spanish.

That evening we had a nice meal with listening to live Peruvian music and got an early night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb