In the jungle


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Manu National Park
May 30th 2006
Published: May 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We have just returned from our 9 day/8 night trip to Manu National Park. The trip was excellent and we saw heaps of wildlife.

The first day involved a bumpy truck ride over the andes and into the cloudforest. It was here that we got to see the bizarre mating ritual of the "cock of the rock" - a very colourful birdy who likes to shake his tail feather.

We then started the first of many river boat rides deep into the National Park. We spent alot of time on various rivers, lakes and walking through endless jungle. We have the sandfly and mosquito bites to prove it.

The scenery here was rich and colourful and the animals were extremely abundant. Animals we saw included over 60 species of birds, tamarins, squirrel monkeys, brown and white cappuchin monkeys, red howler monkeys, wooly monkeys and black spider monkeys. We also saw giant river otters, tapiers, deer, squirrels, black and white caimen, turtles, agouti´s, capybara´s and best of all - a jaguar!!

We are now totally and utterly exhausted and ready for our flight home. Hope all is well back in Sydney - see you all soon!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

JaguarJaguar
Jaguar

Seeing the jaguar was the highlight of our jungle trip
Cock of the rockCock of the rock
Cock of the rock

Who´s the man?
Capybara´sCapybara´s
Capybara´s

Very big rats indeed.


30th May 2006

yay!
See you soon!
1st June 2006

jealous of the jaguar
You really scored seeing a jaguar in the wild - it's so cool to see one, but to get a recognizable picture of it before it runs away is double awesome! I'm planning on going to the Peruvian rainforest next summer and I hope very much I have your luck!
1st June 2006

fantastic photos
p.s. your macaw, cock o the rock, and tapir shots are fantastic!
2nd June 2006

missing animal?
Hi Paul Didn´t notice any mention of BATS in your list of mammals spotted in Manu!!!! Hope you recovered quickly from the altitude sickness & Hope your trip back home is not too dreadful Enjoyed reading the blog .Keep in touch Kathy

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb