Cuzco and breath taking Machu Pichu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
September 12th 2014
Published: September 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Cuzco to Machu Pichu




The way to Cuzco seemed so long. Bus was very uncomfortable. You could not open windows and air condition stopped working from yesterday's evening. Nightmare!

We arrived to Cuzco late afternoon at last! The city looked beautiful! Massive Inca-built walls line steep, narrow streets and plazas full of colourful traditional wares.
Although Cuzco was overpopulated with tourist and very pricey, it's breathtaking setting cannot be denied.
Cuzco sits on 3300m. I was one of unfortunate people to experience altitude sickness - every step felt such a hard work and the headache for the first couple days was killing me! Plus coming from very warm Paracas to cold Cuzco was a little bit a shock for my system ;(
Despite not feeling 100 pro cent, we started planning our journey to Machu Pichu! Of course we were looking for the cheapest possible way 😉
Although Inca Trail was not an option for us, we were still very excited.

So after some research and help from tourist information, we got a bus to Santa Marta ( very interesting journey among locals), then collectivo ( basically shared taxi) to Hydroelectrics which was just a big hydroelectrics. And that journey was also very interesting... Very fast, very jumpy and very high!
From hydroelectrics we walked on the railroad to Aquas Calientes. The walk was very beautiful - so far that was the main point of my travel since we started ( of course until I saw Machu Pichu).
Following day we got up really early, got tickets and made our way to Machu Pichu. We walked up the stones stairs for about one hour and every time we were a little bit higher, the views were becoming more stunning!

Oh Machu Pichu... That's something what you can't describe with words and it's one of the things you need to visit in your lifetime! Despite huge amount of tourist, you still feel the magic of the place!
I recommend going very early and take your own food and water! Very expensive!

Aquas Calientes itself is a very charming place - enclosed by stone cliffs, cloud forest and two rivers.

After coming back to Cuzco, we chose our next destination - Lake Titicaca.
Unfortunately we missed Arequipa but oh well...reason to come back! Plus North Peru also something not to be missed!



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb