Peru


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
February 16th 2013
Published: February 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Aguas CalientesAguas CalientesAguas Calientes

Accommodation, Rupa Wasi
We were up at 3am this morning to get a flight to Peru. This is via Houston, so currently hanging out on some uncomfortable chairs before we board in 3 hours time. Arrive into Lima at midnight, then have the fun 6hr wait at the airport for our connection to Cuzco. Going to be a LONG day.



Security in San Fran was high for our flight to Houston, but nothing for leaving for Peru?! Perhaps because we have already do e it? Blair a bit concerned for when we re-enter the states that we haven't been stamped to leave. Watch this space 😊

....



Well we finally made it into Cuzco. Our flight was at 5.20 am. But due to weather (low cloud) we couldnt land. But did have 3 attempts which was terrifying! Even Blair was afraid!!!

So we returned back to Lima but had to wait on the Tarmac for 5 hours. Then at midday they combined our flight with another and set off again. Still a scarey flight. It was like being in a roller coaster flying around the hills of Cusco to set up for landing.

Arrived bit
Leg warmersLeg warmersLeg warmers

Bought at the market in Cuzco
missed our hotel transfer for the hotel as were supposed to land at 645. Sealed with a couple of taxi drivers and started our 1.5 hour drive to Ollyantamtambo. Amazing drive although altitude was just starting to get me. Either that or the lack of sleep. Peru is amazing!!! The scenery, architecture, you just HAVE to come here!

Did some trekking around Ollantaytambo (not to the terraces though) but to the storage buildings across the other hill (these were free, was $75NZ to go the the terraces with the other 10 bus loads). The way up was a bit tiring, had many stops along the way.

Then the rain set in to air turned into Bear Grils and found a cave to shelter in. Haha

Then his afternoon caught a train to Aguas Calientes which is the town before Machu Picchu. Another amazing trip on the train with gorgeous scenery and a REALLY ANGRY RIVER!! So much water slowing through it!

Seen a few Mosquitos so have our repellant wrist bands on. Just finding a place for dinner. We both want to try the local delicacy, guinea pig!!!!

Will update again soon X





...





Dinner in Aguas Calientes. Well....I think we went in there while they had the closed sign up, interrupted his families dinner, made the guy go to the diary as we had ordered a beer and he didn't sell any (the beer he came back with was 1.1L). A bit of an experience. And gave the guy a tip as we felt bad. But was very funny at the time! 😊

After a night of very heavy rain we decided to set 2 alarms for the morning, one at 5am and one at 7am. We were heading up to Machu Picchu but thought if it was still pouring with rain then would go up later.

Anyway first alarm went off and weather was perfect! Got to Machu Picchu about 7ish. Such an amazing place!!! I have uploaded a few pics. There aren't really any words. So incredible!

On our return back to Aguas Calientes went to check back into our hotel to find our that they were in a state of emergency. There had been a huge slip further up the river which had come through the town washing our some houses and across the street. So there was no power or water in the town. We decided to then get a 2hr taxi to Cusco. Not really where we wanted to spend time, but our plane to Lima leaves from there so had to return at some stage. Went to collect our bags from our room and it had all been done up with decorative flowers as they knew we were on our honeymoon. They went to so much effort but we had to leave. We were in desperate need of a shower.

Had no hotel organised in Cusco so got dropped off in the plaza and had to rely on the Lonely planet guide. But all worked out 😊

Just looking up things to do for the next 2 days, and then have another epic sequence of flights to Mexico!!! 😊





...





Cuzco was alot nicer than we thought it was going to be. Gorgeous old buildings, beautiful old plaza and garden areas.

We did a walking tour out if the Lonely Planet guide which was food but bloody hot. It took us up to a lookout point which had a view of the whole city. Cuzco is the largest and oldest city in Peru.

There are ALOT of dogs around, and occasionally smell urine. There are water channels running down some streets and then later saw a guy peeing in one of them (so the smell was explained).

One thing we were surprised with was the number of bakeries. Exquisite pastries, cakes, and slices set up on stunning window displays. Looked very out of place.

Walking around the city was great. Got to see the locals and how they are in their own environment without being in a touristy area. The money seekers were easy to spot. I don't think 2 women walking around in bright coloured traditional attire walking a dressed up Alpaca in the city is normal. Obviously charging for photos, but I got a sneaky one 😊





While there we had to try their traditional dish - guinea pig. I thought it was really nice, after I got over how it looked when it came out on the plate!!! Crickey wasn't really prepared for that!!! Blair wasn't a fan, which surprised me as I thought it tasted like pork.





Up on our lasts day preparing ourselves for a other epic series of flights.

Cuzco - Lima (1.5hrs)

Lima airport (wait for 12hrs)

Lima - Houston (7hrs)

Houston airport (wait 2hrs)

Houston - Mexico City (2.5hrs)

Mexico City (wait 2hrs)

Mexico City - Peurto Escondido (1.5hrs)





28.5 hrs

4 flights

3 country's



CAN'T SEEM TO UPLOAD ANY MORE PICTURES, BUT WILL TRY AGAIN LATER

Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb