Peruvian Adventure - Part 2


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
June 22nd 2011
Published: July 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Normally after such you an incredible thing like seeing a wonder of the world you would expect that to be the end of our holiday together, but luckily for us we still had more to look forward to.

After our epic trekking adventure we got to spend some days in cuzco to take in the beauty of the place. You can't come to Peru and not spend some time here. It was the heart of the Inca empire. The buildings all have a story to tell and give you a taste of how powerful and significant the Inca empire was in it's day. I wish we'd had more time there but a couple of days gave us just enough time to wander around, do some shopping, eat in some great restaurants and see the spit roasted guinea pigs on the market!! And I had guinea pigs as pets when I was little, it's not a nice sight. In fact by pure luck we ended up being there while the machu picchu 100th Anniversary celebrations were going on which was brilliant. The streets of cuzco were packed and there were loads of parades and decorations everywhere. However the day after we left 400,000 guinea pigs got sacrificed to feed the entire population of cuzco as part of the celebrations!! I almost thought about staying to protest, poor guinea pigs!

After cuzco we got a flight to the amazon basin to the experience the wonders of the rainforest. We stayed in an eco lodge, we had solar heated showers and candles to light the rooms at night. During the day and at night we got to lots of wildlife spotting. Amongst many things we got to see piranhas, cayman, snakes, toucans, howler monkeys, parrots and even a tarantula. Two days there was perfect before we got another flight back to Lima where most people were departing from.

I'd heard mixed reviews on Lima, but personally I didn't think it was too bad. The coast isn't the best but the city has some amazing restaurants and Miraflores is a really nice area, very European. It was a bit of a flying visit, but we still had time to check out Pizza Street and wander around the sites.
The girls managed to get some very funny footage of our last night together. I'm praying it doesn't end up on you tube! It was so sad when they left, it was so nice having them around. We'd be talking about our trip for so long and it went so quickly. It was a fantastic two weeks, we did so much it was incredible. So many great new memories and photos (and video footage)! Thank you ladies for another top holiday, can't wait for our next one!!

Half way now, only 3 months left...eeek, reality is looming!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0703s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb