Colca Canyon, Lake Titicaca, Cusco, Machu Picchu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
February 17th 2011
Published: February 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Colca Canyon, Lake Titicaca, Cusco, Machu Picchu

To reach the Colca Canyon we crossed the altiplano through a Vicuna reserve. These small animals are smarter than the others (Alpacas, Llamas and Guanacos) in that they won't breed in captivity, so they are free to roam except for a once-a-year shearing. At one point in our journey we reached an altitude of 4,800m (about 15,600 feet) before descending into the Colca valley. The high altitude affects almost everybody, and we were no exception. Next morning we set off early to Cruz del Condor, to see these huge birds (with wingspans up to 15ft) as they soared up on the thermals. To say the Colca Canyon is deep is a bit like saying the Himalayas are high - it's 10,700 feet deep (over 2 miles), but unlike the Grand Canyon it was formed by a geological fault rather than river erosion. It's also much less steep-sided, so that much of the valley sides are terraced and cultivated. The next stop was Puno on the shores of Lake Titicaca. The lake is impressive - larger than Holland - and the highest navigable lake in the world. We saw the Uros Islands, which are floating reed islands in the shallower part of the lake. Sadly, these are now just tourist attractions, each island being visited daily by many tour boats. In contrast, Taquile Island, is solid and attractive. One of the larger islands on the lake at 7km long, it is home to around 1,500 Quechua-speaking people. It's amazingly fertile and pretty, with terraced slopes scattered with pre-Inca ruins. Next day we took a 10 hour bus ride to Cusco, stopping ar Raqchi, a large Inca temple. Here there was an avenue of houses aligned so that the sun shone directly between them on the summer solstice - very much like Stonehenge. Cusco is a destination in itself: a Spanish colonial city built upon original Inca foundations - huge blocks of tightly-interlocked granite which have withstood major earthquakes which severely damaged the buildings above. There's a famous painting of 'The Last Supper' in Cusco Cathedral, painted by a local artist, where the main dish is roast guinea pig and Judas has the face of their hated conquistadore, Francisco Pizarro. Then, finally, to Machu Picchu. Mapi, as the locals call it, does not disappoint. It's setting, high up on top of a green-covered mountain, surrounded by many other misty green-covered mountains, is nothing short of spectacular. Also, as it was not discovered by the Spanish, it is still largely complete. It's hard to overestimate the skill and labour needed to cut, shape, and build the temples, houses and public spaces hundreds of feet up on a cloudy mountain-top. Mapi is still remote. It's 72 miles from Cusco to Aguas Calientes (the closest town to Mapi, about which the less said the better) and the single-track, narrow-guage, Toytown railway took over 2 hours to cover just the final 27 miles from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes. Our next stop is the fascinatingly named Puerto Maldonado, on the Madre de Dios River, one of the tributaries of the Amazon, where we will spend 4 days in a jungle lodge with open sides - more later!




Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



17th February 2011

Dazzling photos!--I can't imagine how you're taking it all in, plus doing all the reading and writing that plays into your wonderful blog. Adelante!!
17th February 2011

What color!
The skies all look so absolutely blue and clear (except of course onthe rainy or misty days!) Thanks again for the wonderful descriptions and captions of your entries - it brings us all along with you - from the armchair! Love to you both,
18th February 2011

Glad to see the wandering spirit never fades. You guys are an inspiration.
24th February 2011

Enjoying the Blog
Thanks for the effort Mary and Bob...your photos are wonderful!
3rd April 2011
On Lake Titicaca

;_) ;-)

Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.034s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb