Machu Picchu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
December 15th 2009
Published: December 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So we arrived in Cusco almost one week ago. At the bus station we decided to check out our first choice of hostel but after realising that it was around 3 times the price of everywhere else we have stayed we passed and ventured off into the city to find something else. After 30 mins of walking we haggled with a hostel and got a really cheap rate and its only two minutes from the main square.
That first day we had already been on a bus for 21hours so took it handy and just looked around the city.
The second day we decided to check out some places to book the Machu Picchu trek. After looking in a few different agencies we decided to go with the first ones we had check that are based in our hostel. That meant we were getting collected the following morning at 6am so that evening we went out for Alpaca dinner which was lovely and made for an early night!
First day of the trek and we met the rest of our group which consists of myself, Anne, Mick from Bray back home, Dabis from Holland and two couples from the UK, Rob and Jennie, Sam and Fiona.
Once we were all aquainted we started the 4 day trip. We were brought up to 4500 meters with our guide Reimer and had the fun challenge of free wheeling downhill for 4 hours before we arrived at our first site. Briefly before our hostel we were shown our first sign of Inka ruins.
That evening our guide brought us out fishing and I´m starting to think this is not a sport for me as we didnt catch anything! We all went back and had dinner and a beer before heading to bed.
Second day we were up at 6am to start our first bit of trekking. We walked on some old Inka trails with steep cliff face drops before lunch. After lunch we trekked for another couple of hours and then reached our destination of Thermal Baths. We spent around two hours relaxing in the baths before being brought to our hostel. That evening we decided to hit the local night clubs. We had a very messy night out with the locals but it was great fun, from what I can remember 😊
Day three we all woke up late and didnt make it out until 8.30am. Unfortunately this was our longest day of trekking and was not too nice with a hangover but thankfully everyone was in the same boat. We trekked the first three hours through mostly jungle which brought us to lunch. After lunch we were walking on a train track for what felt like hours before arriving in Aguas Calientes and having a lovely dinner. UNfortunately I was beginning to come down with something as were a few of us and we figured that it must have been from the thermal baths. I went off the bed at 8pm to try and get rid of it.
On day four we woke up at 4am as we needed to arrive early to get our tickets for Waynapichu which is the mountain overlooking Machu Picchu. We were told it would be two hours up but both mylself, Anne, Mick and Dabis got up in one hour. UNfortunately Fiona and Sam had to get the bus as they both got infected bites on their legs from the mosquitos and couldnt walk too well.
Both myself and Anne were both still feeling abit rough but definately on the mend. Once the sun rose on Machu Picchu it was absolutely beautiful. We couldnt of asked for better weather. Especially considering we were expecting rain as its the rainy season. The temperature must of been at least 35degrees up there and we all burnt a little. Once inside Reimer brought us on a tour and explained everything about the place for around 2hours. Once that was finished he headed off and we explored all together. At 9.30am we climbed up Waynapichu was provided us with great views and an enjoyable climb. Once down we took a few more photos and made our way back to the town of Aguas Calientes to wait for our train back to Cusco. When we arrived back off the train station there was supposed to be someone waiting for us with our names of it. Unfortunately they only had 6names on the list even though there was 8 in our group. They were missing ROb and Jennie. We argued for 30mins with them as they wanted to leave Rob and Jennie in whatever town we were in but we all surrounded the guy and then forced ourselves on the bus so there was nothing they could do, was very amusing actually.
Once back in our hostel it was straight to bed to shake off whatever I have.
Tonight we are making our way to Arequipa with ROb, Jennie, Sam and Fiona. We have a 10 hour night bus.


Additional photos below
Photos: 83, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb