Heading to Macchu Picchu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
April 8th 2008
Published: April 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We took the 6am train to Aqua Calientes. It was a 4 hr train ride that initially looked like it would never get going. We sat on the train going forward and backward for the 1st 30 minutes until we moved at a steady pace. I soon realized that this was how the train found the track it needed to get us there. We were booked by the travel agency in the backpackers coach, which suited us fine. Not much leg room, but the coach was also not completely full. When we arrived at the station we were escorted by our travel agency to meet the guide who would take us up the mountain. I was so thankful all of this was pre-arranged because it was more than a little hectic with the sea of people trying to make there way through all the solicitors and vendors who haggled for our attention.
So off we went onto the bus up the mountain as our luggage went with our bellman to the hotel. Everything thus far had run smoothly so I wasn´t too concerned that we wouldn´t see our bags again.
The bus trip up was an experience in itself. We're on a coach-style bus going up a narrow winding dirt and gravel road with the mountain on one side and the cliff on the other. It seemed almost impossible that this road could be two-way,but sure enough it was. I mean how else were we to get down?.....
Pictures to come....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1021.8kb