They arranged a parade to welcome me...


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
April 29th 2007
Published: April 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone,

Well i finally got off the ground yesterday in Lima at about 6:45am for the 1 hour flight to Cuzco -- surprise, flight was delayed because of weather (is this following me around, or what😊

Flying into Lima was quite interesting, as you can see peaks of the Andes poking through the cloud cover like islands in a sea of white cotton...

When i got into Cuzco around 8:30 am i went to the main area where all the hotels and tour agencies are located, Plaza des Armas, and there were thousands of people in the streets... i did it again, arriving some place where something extra special was taking place!

There was big parade with marching bands and kids dressed in costumes -- this went on for hours, and was quite a spectacle given the sleep-deprived condition i was in... finally went to bed at 3pm after having not seen a bed in 2 days!!

They were having a big rally to get people to go online and vote for Machu Picchu to be one of the "NEW" 7 Wonders of the World... I had actually gone to that site several months ago, it´s kind of neat, i think it is www.7wonders.com or something like that...

Anyhow it is quite a big town for being 11,500 feet altitude, pop about 340,000... so as it turns out i´m a bit disappointed that i cannot get on the "original" Inca Trail Trek, as you have to book at least 3 months ahead to get a permit -- govt only allows 500 trekkers on the trail per day... there are alternate treks but they don-t have the same lure / appeal to me at this time...

So, I went on Cuzco tour today, lots of incredible old churches from the 1500´s, archaeological sites, etc... Tomorrow i am taking a day trip through the Sacred Valley, and Mon/Tues i will take the bus and train up to Machu Picchu, and be up there bright and early for the sunrise!!

Then i will fly to Lima, connect to Mexico City and then over to Cancun, to pick up Redina at airport on Thurs nite!!!

Hope you are all doing well, and a special hello to all of you that made it out to the RJ Open annual golf tourney... take care,

Cam

Advertisement



29th April 2007

rj open
great golf tourny buddy, I beat Dureen, woohoo, lowest ever score, been practising for months.

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb