Machu Picchu with new Covid regulations


Advertisement
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
November 5th 2020
Published: November 6th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Machu Picchu and the Inca Trail opened again on November 2, after being closed since the State of Emergency and Covid-19 quarantine were announced in Peru on March 15th. I had the amazing good fortune to be able to hike the Inca Trail on November 4th and visit Machu Picchu on November 5th with a group of friends. All but one had never visited Machu Picchu before, though all of them have sat thro... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The fire from SeptemberThe fire from September
The fire from September

This dry season was especially terrible for wildfires. The air was smokey from another fire when I took this picture, but you can still see that the slopes across from Machu Picchu are blackened. When the fire happened in September, it was difficult to get fire fighters to such an isolated place and I was afraid that the fire would spread much closer to Machu Picchu. Thankfully, it was controlled in time and didn't get close enough to damage the archeological site.
Formerly crowded spotsFormerly crowded spots
Formerly crowded spots

On the right of this photo is the Temple of the Three Windows, which usually has several groups trying to get close enough to see over and around each other.
Inca architectureInca architecture
Inca architecture

I absolutely loved being able to take photos of all of my favorite spots, without other tourists photobombing my shots.
The sundialThe sundial
The sundial

This is one of the more popular places in Machu Picchu, which recently was closed in the afternoons to protect it from the hoards. Now, with so few people, most of these popular spots are accessible all day.
Just us and the park rangersJust us and the park rangers
Just us and the park rangers

To the left you can see a park ranger with his mask on. I am positive that they are happy to be back at work, after Machu Picchu being closed for over seven months. I am also positive that their jobs are much easier now, with so few people to keep an eye on.
Temple of the CondorTemple of the Condor
Temple of the Condor

This is another one of my favorite places at Machu Picchu. The giant V of bedrock forms two giant wings, with the body and beak of the condor carved into bedrock below. Only the white granite collar of the condor was placed, rather than carved. I have never before been able to get a shot like this without other tourists blocking at least part of the condor.
Walking downWalking down
Walking down

On Wednesday, after hiking the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, it took over half an hour to buy bus tickets down to Aguas Calientes, because the employees couldn't figure out the new system. On Thursday, we were told that it would take an hour and a half. That's about how long it takes to walk down to Aguas Calientes, so we hit the stairs. This wall, and the Inca stairs, are original. Obviously, nobody took a shuttle bus 500 or 600 years ago.
New restaurant Covid regulationsNew restaurant Covid regulations
New restaurant Covid regulations

Only a handful of restaurants were open when I visited Aguas Calientes. Even most of the ones that are clearly preparing to open with the new Covid regulations are still closed. New sinks outside of restaurants are only one part of the way that people are trying to get ready for when tourists do come back.
Social distancing on public benchesSocial distancing on public benches
Social distancing on public benches

All around Machu Picchu and Aguas Calientes, the benches are marked so that only two people can sit at each.
New Covid souvenirsNew Covid souvenirs
New Covid souvenirs

Souvenir shops that used to sell Machu Picchu souvenirs now sell masks and face protectors. They also now have to post a long list of the new Covid protocols.
Obligatory mask useObligatory mask use
Obligatory mask use

All around town are reminders that we must wear masks at all times.
Disinfecting arrivalsDisinfecting arrivals
Disinfecting arrivals

At the point where you disembark the train, there is a plastic chamber that you have to walk into and wait while an air filter and disinfectant mist are supposed to decontaminate you. I have no idea how effective that really is, but they are trying everything they can to make reopening Machu Picchu as safe as possible in a global pandemic.



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb