All about Los Ninos Project


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
July 1st 2011
Published: July 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Took a tour of the "Los Ninos" Project. To put it shortly, I was impressed. This woman from Holland took twelve kids into her care (she actually adopted them in 1996). Gladys is the one who showed me around. The project helps these children by providing them with a breakfast and a lunch and a snack in the afternoon. they provide nutrition information. there is even a doctor and dentist on board! They are also provided with help with their homework. The kids range from age 6-12 and they can participate in the program provided they go to school. What really impressed me was that they serve around 500 kids. this woman is a saint. There are so many things that we take for granted (like taking a shower). All the students have their own toothbrush and are required to take a shower. There is also a gym where physical education is taught. During vacation time the kids are taught life skills and fun stuff (like crocheting and macrame). Another thing, there is no movie theater in Cusco so they have constructed a tiny movie theater and they and see a movie as an incentive to do good. They get popcorn and everything. I don't think we really know poverty.

Once a month they celebrate kids' birthdays. This is something that these kids really don't know about either.

This project has thought of everything. They hire women to do the cooking and also help them with self esteem and thinking about themselves, making plans for themselves too.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb