Writing from on high...


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
February 19th 2006
Published: February 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The possyThe possyThe possy

A couple of aussies and new zealanders who we found on the way
Well, we have come a long way since our last journal entry that’s for sure. 10,000 feet upward to be exact!
We are now in the wonderful Cusco, dodging forked lightening. Generally the days are scorching, but around tea-time every day, the rain comes down like there is no tomorrow! Last night there was a huge storm....so dramatic over the mountains, but there is rumbling now as I write!!! Thank god for Peter Storm waterproofs huh!
So we left Huacachina last week, after going on a winery tour, around 3 local wineries, producing sweet dessert wine, and the local drink, Pisco. After many tastings, and several hilarious chats with the very drunk owners in the last place, we headed out of Huacachina south to Nasca.
Nasca is a tiny town in the middle of barren desert land. The only reason you go there is to take the flight over the Nasca lines (huge drawings made in the deserts, which they believe are from the pre-Inca culture). They were pretty cool, but I was a little distracted by the tiny 5-seater plane, which veered sharply from side to side, to make sure everyone got a good view! Also was a little worried by the pilot who kept taking his hands off the wheel to point things out!
It was a good experience though, and worth stopping in Nasca for. We also met up with two of our friends from Lima, who we then travelled with to Cusco (so there were now 6 of us).
This was where we experienced our first overnight bus journey. Boy that was fun (not!!!). We were very lucky (again!) because somehow we were allowed to sit in the first class bit downstairs in the bus, and not upstairs which we had paid for! So it was pretty sweet as we had loads of legroom and could sleep fairly well. That was if we could sleep over the sound of the Steven Seagal and The Rock films that the Peruvians love!! And obviously all in spanish! Eventually we persuaded one of the guys to put on a film in English, and the only one they had was this hilarious early Jacky Chan film called about drunk kung-fu! As you can imagine, we loved that! Hehe!
Anyway, after 15 hours of creeping up tiny roads, clinging desperately to the side of cliffs, and driving through rivers (there had been loads of flooding before) we eventually reached Cusco. And what a relief it was! We climbed the million and one steps up to our little hostel, perched high up on the hills, with fantastic views. It also has a lovely big kitchen so have had several big dinners with the other guys (much cheaper with 6 of us!!).
We spent quite a few days exploring Cusco, and tasting its nightlife! Then, on Wednesday we set off to go up to Machu Picchu. As the trail is shut you can only get the train up there, but we combined it with a tour of the sacred valley (lots of small villages surrounding Cusco with small Inca sites). Then on Thursday made it up to M.P. itself. Wow! You understand why people say it is breathtaking. We had beautiful weather, and walked and climbed our way right up to the Sun Gate for the best view of the site. Absolutely stunning. After a few hours there, we finally clambered back down to the main site, from where Rich and the other guys walked back down to the village, but I got the bus (too much walking already!!!). Our trip to M.P. was marred slightly as we were put into a terrible hostel, which had a pet rooster that started clucking at 4 in the morning! Fun!
Anyway, have now been back in Cusco a couple of days, and tomorrow morning we head off again to Puno to visit the floating islands!
Thanks for all your messages...we love them! Keep them coming!
Love Rich and Zoe
P.S...As those of you who know me really well will understand, I’m totally thrilled because the Peruvians absolutely love James Blunt! Nooooooooo!!!!
xxxxxx


Advertisement



19th February 2006

WOW what fun!
your stories are juts great..I wish I was there, love Libby
20th February 2006

Drunken master
Plot Outline: An undisciplined boy must learn Drunken Fist Kung Fu in order to stop an assassin. Alriught, sounds like the highlight of the trip so far to me, forget machu whatever its called. Id have stayed at home and watched this again. Totally jealous, totally not speaking to you guys anymore. Screw you guys, im guuoing home. Easy!
20th February 2006

Being nosey....!
Hey, why cant we read all the comments people have left? Really disappointed!!! AS for James Bland oh dear! It was Shakira they were mad on when we were there!! xx
20th February 2006

hi
hey rich n zo, glad to hear you're having fun, i have to stop reading your journals as they are making me v jealous : ) Amilio Estervez and I wish u continued success in your travel malarky. In a bit laarrrrs.
24th February 2006

Hello
Hi there, just a quick message to say enyoyed reading your message as am also heading to Peru soon! also was wondering whether you could recommend any hostels you stayed in whilst travelling Peru also any other hints tips for travelling this great place? Hope u can find time to help Paul_southamerica@hotmail.co.uk

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 75; dbt: 0.0776s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb