Jungle Trek Day 1 - Mountain Biking


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
May 31st 2009
Published: June 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Ready to bike 9 secs
Photo 8Photo 8Photo 8

looking down at the drop
So we start our trek to Machu Piccu! Off like a herd of arthritic sea tortoises on land for the first time, I think we managed to depart only 45 minutes behind schedule. Justin and I mentioned that our guide had not come to get us, and the hostel's response was 'oh, he is just 40 minutes later than he said he would be here? He could still be on time!' Whatever. However, Americo did arrive, and brought the 22 liter backpack as promised. I did not have the ideal size for this trip, so our guide said he would bring a backpack - and he actually did!

Aside from delays getting out the door, and then bathroom breaks for those that had been stuck in the back of the van waiting at each hostel for everyone, all was in order. Our group consisted of 4 Argentineans, 2 Ozzies, 2 Irish, 2 Austrians, 1 Brit, 1 Filipino and us.
I spent the better part of the drive up the mountain speaking with Pete, the Brit. So much easier to remember someone's name when it happens to be your own. He is a Credit Risk team lead with the worlds most unsuccessful bank, UBS. His words, not mine. Pete was on his honeymoon with Sheila, his Irish sweetheart.

Upon reaching our launching pad at 14,271 ft (yes, we at high altitude), we sprung to life on our downward trek to the jungle. Like clockwork, one Argentinean and Ivan the Irish guy peeled out on their bikes. Ivan flew over his handle bars. I will not use this space to point out that this occurred within 90 seconds of our safety briefing, and will instead focus on elements of this trip that did not have to do with personal negligence.

Over the course of the next few hours, we traversed 54 km, going from just under a snow capped peak to right in the middle of the jungle down to 4,691 ft., complete with mosquitoes, big spiders, and the like. Hmm, something to be said for the bonuses of freezing your a** off. Yes, it was cold for the first few minutes.

Packed up and back in the bus, we proceeded to go to a coffee plantation to get a quick glimpse as to the coffee picking and processing process before taking a look at an old section of the Inca Trail. A local landowner has preserved a chunk on his land. This tour was complete without a gift shop, and it really did feel like just a glimpse into the coffee process, not a guide kickback scheme disguised as a destination. I enjoyed it.

We arrived at our lodging in Santa Maria at around half 4 (that is 4:30 for those not acquainted with Australian timekeeping). We threw down a few beers and then I headed down for an early night. The next day was going to be a long one.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Photo 12Photo 12
Photo 12

coffee beans drying
Photo 14Photo 14
Photo 14

part of the old inca rd


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0776s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb