Wondering through the Sacred Valley


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
September 1st 2007
Published: October 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

"I can see it", shouted Clay. Suddenly there was great excitement in the whole group as we followed our way along a path that led down a rough path surrounded by thick bush that reminded me a little of New Zealand. I was at the back as usual nursing my left knee that was complaining bitterly about going downhill. The view we were all holding our breath for was our first site of Machu Picchu and there it was in the distance. We were a group of 8, from the US, UK and Holland, and our guide Will. This was day 4 of our 5 day trek that led to the base of Salkantay, then down into the high jungle and ending up at what had just recently become one of the new 7 wonders of the world.
Machu Picchu in the distance ... really!
Six days prior I arrived in Cuzco (also Cusco and even sometimes Cosco) after a short trip to Arica to renew my visa. I met up with my nephew Joe and together we were going to trek the Salkantay trail, one of the many "Inca Trails" found in many parts of Peru. After the two days in Tacna (Peru) and Arica (Chile) being the only gringo in site it was a shock to see so many back packers and fellow travellers in Cusco. Cusco is one of the stops on the famous "gringo trail" that takes travelers south from Lima through Pisco, Nazca, Arequipa, Puno (Lake Titikaka), Cusco and back to Lima. In Cusco there are bars (real bars) that you can hang out in that serve English beer and there is even an Indian Restaurant (the only one in Peru).Joe and I managed a little exploring on our own away from the tour buses by taking the local buses into the Sacred Valley to visit Pisac and Ollantaytanbo. Both these places have ancient Inca ruins and the ruins at Pisac itself, to us, look like a mini Machu Picchu. The weather was amazing but did not come close to how amazing the countryside and the ruins were.
Pisac and Ollantaytanbo
Our group met early in the morning on the first day. We were to get used to the 5am wake up calls but this first one was without the aid of some coca tea. We dozed in the bus as it took us to the start point of our walk. Joe was itching to start the walking and his excitement started to rub off on me and many of the others in the group. After breakfast we broke out the walking sticks and set off. The first day and half was to be uphill and then after that mostly down with the odd uphill excursion. We were to reach 4600m when we summited the pass at the base of Salkantay. Even though we had spent 2 or 3 days in Cusco to acclimatise I still found the air thin and the going tough whilst Joe powered along without seeming to notice the altitude.
Randon shots of the trek
The group bonded quickly and there was plenty of opportunity to have long and sometime deep conversations during the 6 to 7 hours of walking we did each day. Our guide was a constant source of amusement for us all. His English was great but he had a way of talking that left us all uncertain as to what he really meant. He also had a striking resemblance (Joe and I thought) to one of the Galagar brothers from Oasis and we quickly nick named him Liam. He was a great source of information on so many things including the flowers, animals, people, customs and much more which only added to our experience.

The trek culminated with a visit to Machu Picchu itself. We stayed overnight in the main staging post for those wanting to visit the ancient site. Its an odd town and full of gringos all doing the same thing.. waiting. We got up early and caught the incredibly well organised bus service to Machu Pichuu. After a climb of around 30 mins on a track that switched back dozens of times we made it. The place was amazing and to see it for the first time really does set the heart pounding. Joe and I also elected to climb the small but steep mountain (Wayna Picchu)just behind the main site to get a different perspective on the site. Exhausted from the trek we finally got back on a bus to take us down to Aguas Caliente and out train back to Cusco. An amazing trip with a great group of people. One for the memory banks.

To see more of my pics from this trip click here.

Advertisement



16th October 2007

Yo
Awesome pics mate!! Looks like you havin a blast. Soooooo jealous. Cheers, Marlon.
17th October 2007

You look happy and well, and sound like you are having an amazing time. Miss you though!!

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb