Day12


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
July 9th 2007
Published: August 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Not a particularly hectic day today in Cusco. A bit of sightseeing involved a visit to the main square where there is the Catholic Cathedral and Jesuit churches that dominate two sides.
Oliver was not impressed by the gold leaf and silver plate on show everywhere!
We also visited the monastery of Santo Domingo which, as most colonial buildings in Cusco are built on top of Inca temples, using their solid and precision built foundations, which have proved to be earthquake proof! Five hundred years ago, the Coricancha, (now St. Domingo,) would have been lavishly decorated with gold, silver and fine stones, which unfortunately were stripped by the Spanish during the conquest.
Also visited was the Inca Museum with objects such as mummies in baskets and pots, also "conehead" skulls of "royal" Incas.
Our souvenir purchases occured mainly in and around the artesenal market and included purchases such as jumpers, scarfs, shirts and hats.
We had a fabulous evening with our GAP group and guide at a restaurant on Arequipa which was the inside of an Incan temple - wonderful and unusual surroundings.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb