Cusco


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
July 19th 2007
Published: July 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Flags over CuscoFlags over CuscoFlags over Cusco

The Cusco and Peruvian flags (NOT the gay pride flag as many people seem to think!)
Arrived in Cusco after the most comfortable bus ride we have yet experienced in South America. Reclinable leather seats, and an air hostess (for want of a better word) who handed out blankets, dinner and breakfast! I could get used to travelling like this!

We got nabbed by a tout as we got of the bus and decided to be lazy and go with her for one night at least. Checked into a hostal and slept for the better part of the morning. Ventured out in the afternoon to have a look around though got very distracted by the markets that seem to be on every corner here! I bought the Boleto Touristico (though the horrible woman wouldn't accept my student card and charged me double for the adult one) and found another hostal for the next couple of nights.

Started the next morning bright and early as I am determined to make full use of my ridiculously overpriced Boleto Touristico so am dragging Lou round every museum on the map. Dropped our stuff at our new, much nicer and cosier hostal (complete with original Inca walls) and started at the Convent of Santa Catalina (religious art - how fun!) followed a couple of museums (I'm sorry to say, I'm getting bored of pots) though walking up Cuesta de San Blas towards our hostal with Inca walls on one side and Spanish on the other is pretty impressive.

We didn't see the amazing twelve sided stone as someone dressed as an Inca had set up camp in front of the doorway and was charging whatever he felt like to let people see it. Unfortunatley I keep getting very distracted by the artesan shops all the way up. Got to remember I'm here for the culture not the shopping! (Plenty of time in Bolivia for that!) Managed to do six of the seven sights within Cusco that day, didn't make it to the seventh as an enormous protest crowd marched through the city and ended up outside the last gallery with police surrounding them so we figured we'd leave it. This is to do with the strikes that held us up in Trujillo for five days.

Apparently the teachers' union that went on strike for a pay rise have been holding up public transport and putting rocks in the road so buses are getting overturned (we heard about one that was coming into Trujillo that overturned and eleven people died) so there are now anti-strike protests such as this one to stop the violent demonstrations. We later saw a candlelit demostration on the cathedral steps to stop the strikes.

I was amazed we actually managed to fit a surprising amount in whilst in Cuzco as every two steps you are acosted by someone selling something. Now this happens nearly everywhere in South America but Cusco was truly unbelievable. We had been warned about the children in the Plaza de Armas that as well as selling stuff were often pick pockets but when you get the cutest kid in the world come up to you with a cheeky little grin then ask 'Do you waaant......PUPPETS?!' whilst brandishing a handful of knitted finger puppets at you it's very hard not to just crack up. Cutest things in the world although I can't quite figure out who came up with their catch phrase for them (said with the most devilish little smile you can imagine.) The simple answer is no, I highly doubt many people do really want finger puppets but I expect they do a roaring trade anyway.

Got back to the hostal to find the woman very excited and telling us our 'very handsome friend has just checked in'. Could only assume she meant Jack so went and banged on the door for ages but he was either asleep or out so we left to go back to the Plaza de Armas. The owner seems to think we'll be moving into his room as she tried to kick us out of ours! I don't think she sees any problem with the three of us in one bed and seemed quite confused when we said we would be staying put - maybe they just don't understand the concept of platonic friends here??!!

Finally met him that evening, looking the height on laziness relaxing with a book in a deck chair, to go for the most amazing food ever (thanks for the tip Sarah) at the very aptly named, Jack's on Cuesta San Blas.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Inca KolaInca Kola
Inca Kola

Vile stuff that it is!


26th July 2007

Didn't I leave a comment or is it dementia??
Hi I'm sure I left you a comment yesterday. Us mother's seem to think this cola is something else? Glad you are still doing the history bit. Was that the 7th museum behind the crowd. Maybe there was something they didn't want you to see. Love J
28th July 2007

Are you sure that's cola?
This rumour about strange cola has been spreading round the neighbourhood. You will have to bring one back for us to really believe it or not! Wonderful colours and atmospheres abound where you are. Enjoy your trip to the salt plains.
8th October 2007

Hmmmm.... you've been home for months now. You are installed in a cosy uni. room with constant internet access.... and you STILL haven't finished off your blog?! Come on Katherine!
5th December 2010
Incan Wall

Cool picture!

Tot: 0.247s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 31; qc: 147; dbt: 0.1554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb