And now life on a big red truck


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
May 7th 2007
Published: May 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

MoMoMo

The big red truck, our first lunch stop.
When we left La Paz to start our jaunt into Peru we joined an overland tour for 3 weeks. Our mode of transport was a big red truck, apptly called Mo. She seats 20 passangers and is complete with tents, cooking gear and a fridge(to keep the beers cold of course). And thats not all, she has an abled(not so able at 2am in the morning at the night clubs) driver and tour guide so our life in Peru will now certainly be easier. Fortunatly for us there were only four other passangers so no cramming into the truck for us. Our new travel buddies consists of 2 poms and 2 Aussies, and an Aussie guide and driver to completed the gang.

Before we crossed the border we had a quick tour of Tiahuanaco ruins, which is claimed to be the origin of Andean cultures. Building was begun at some time before A.D. 500. Some also believe this is the oldest city in the world. The excavation of the main temple only started last year and they hope to complete it next year. This is the facinating part of South Amecica as that there is still so much still
Which one is 500 years old?Which one is 500 years old?Which one is 500 years old?

Tiahuanaco Ruines, one of the statues not destroyed by the Spanish.
to be discovered!

Our border crossing into Peru was certainly interesting as every Friday there is a market and of course we crossed on a Friday. I still do not know how Mark our driver navigated our big red truck through a narrow path left by the stalls that a small car would battle to drive down, good driving Mark!

Next stop was Lake Titicaca. Lake Titicaca is the highest commercially navigable lake in the world, at 3,812 m (12,507 feet) above sea level. More than 25 rivers empty into Titicaca, and the lake has 41 islands, some of which are densely populated. First we visited the floating reed islands of the Uros Indians to learn about their customs and way of life on the reeds and then we re-boarded our boat to continue on to Amantani Island for the night. On arrival we were met by our host family for a traditional home stay. After dining with them we were kitted out in the local gear and re-gathered for a night of entertainment. It was hilarious as we were taught their traditional dance. And of course we all looked the part, well sort of.

From here
The TempleThe TempleThe Temple

The temple at the Tiahuanaco Ruines which is slowly emerging, almost there!
it is onto Cusco so we can prepare for the big 5 day hike to Machu Piccu.

Chow!







Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Border Crossing!!!Border Crossing!!!
Border Crossing!!!

The view from the top of the truck, negiotiating our way through the chaos.
Wishfull Thinking!Wishfull Thinking!
Wishfull Thinking!

Rob at the fertillity temple, Ink Uyu.
Captain.Captain.
Captain.

Wendy, getting ready to sail on the classic reed boat.
Amantani Island.Amantani Island.
Amantani Island.

Our new home for the next 24 hours.
Our new family!Our new family!
Our new family!

Our host family, Rob good practice for the real thing.
Home sweat home!Home sweat home!
Home sweat home!

We slept in the penthouse suite on the top floor. Also check the veggie garden.
Will it be a jumper?Will it be a jumper?
Will it be a jumper?

The men do the knitting here, what do the woman do?
Good Morning!Good Morning!
Good Morning!

Sunrise over Lake Titicaca
All dressed up and nowhere to go!All dressed up and nowhere to go!
All dressed up and nowhere to go!

The gang in the local attire!
Nice moves!Nice moves!
Nice moves!

Wendy strutting her stuff.
Good tempo!Good tempo!
Good tempo!

See mom, I told you all those years in the night clubs would pay off!


3rd June 2007

What the??
Great pics, not so sure about Rob's wedding tackle though??

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb