the old inca capital - cusco


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
November 10th 2006
Published: January 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

ancient doorwayancient doorwayancient doorway

cusco and the sacred valley are the gate to the past world of the incas
Arriving in Cusco was the beginning of a longer stay... Through e-mail contact I met my friend Shyloh from the Iquitos-conference the very first day in Cusco again. He had been in Ecuador after the conference also living in the jungle with a shaman and his family and just returned from there...
Moreover he had organised an ayahuasca-ceremony with Kevin Furnas, a western shaman who also had been at the Iquitos-conference and who lives in Cusco. So the same evening we held a small but amazing ceremony in the upper part of the inca-city...
Days went by quickly in Cusco - good and cheap vegetarian restaurants, nicely accomodated at "Osiris"-guesthouse, a lot of good people around and pleasant evening-hangouts everywhere...
One week had to pass until Shyloh and I headed into the sacred valley to go to Macchu Picchu. We went to Ollantaytambo from where we wanted to take a bus to Santa Maria, to avoid the horribly overpriced train to Macchu Picchu... But in the sweet little village Ollantaytambo just started a local festival - and we ended up staying there 3 days - not going any further. And because of Halloween we finally went back to Cusco to dance the whole night at the halloween-trance-party at "Pepe Zeta", before we returned to the sacred valley the next morning without having slept a single minute... :-)
This time we catched the bus to Santa Maria from where we walked the following day along the train-tracks to Aguas Calientes - the small village at the feet of Macchu Picchu...
The old inca-ruins, although quite expensive and crowded with tourists, were truly amazing... I walked the one-hour trail early in the morning from the village up to the ruins by myself. Early enough to climb up to higher Wayna-Picchu and get a stunning view over the whole Macchu-Picchu area before it started to get foggy and raining.
When we returned from the sacred valley we prepared to leave Cusco after more than 2 weeks inca-capital and an unusally long but funny journey to Macchu Picchu...



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

shyloh and the dried baby-lamashyloh and the dried baby-lama
shyloh and the dried baby-lama

you would not believe what you can find in local markets...


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 20; qc: 75; dbt: 0.0677s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb