Cusco--Doing the Tourist Trot


Advertisement
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
May 3rd 2013
Published: December 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

My first few months in Cusco were spent in lovely meanderings around town, exploring canyons, green hills and ruins above the city, being awed by colorful festivals and volunteering with children through my Magic Hostel. I leisurely visited the city's museums, colonial mansions and gilded churches and read the wealth of books on Cusco and the Inca in my hostel's library and in the shops of museu... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Garcilaso Inka de la VegaGarcilaso Inka de la Vega
Garcilaso Inka de la Vega

He chronicled the Inca customs he'd learned from his mother, an Inca princess.
most weavers are women, but not allmost weavers are women, but not all
most weavers are women, but not all

Center for Traditional Textiles
Santa Catalina Convent refectory with frescoesSanta Catalina Convent refectory with frescoes
Santa Catalina Convent refectory with frescoes

built on top of the Inca's Sacred House of the Chosen Women
one of a zillion, baroque, gilded altarsone of a zillion, baroque, gilded altars
one of a zillion, baroque, gilded altars

beautiful carving under the gilding
Santo Domingo towerSanto Domingo tower
Santo Domingo tower

a city of towers
Museum to PachacutecMuseum to Pachacutec
Museum to Pachacutec

first great Inca leader
a dainty woman would be carried in thisa dainty woman would be carried in this
a dainty woman would be carried in this

from Museum of Religious Art
spondylus shell necklacespondylus shell necklace
spondylus shell necklace

Pre-Columbian Art Museum



9th December 2013

Tourist trot
Well done, beautifully written. An amazing city...gilded virgins and all.
9th December 2013

Gilded
Thanks so much! I was afraid of boring people to death on this one--so glad you liked it!
10th December 2013

Trots of a different kind... :)
Loved this blog Tara. I've come to realise that death and grand buildings (and what they represent) are usually directly proportional; although some countries/religions hide their deadly history better than others.
10th December 2013

Death and grand buildings..
Very interesting observation, especially since I know you, like me, are a fan of architecture! I rather agree since it takes wealth to build large structures, and in most societies that wealth has come at the expense of others. Oh dear, perhaps I should feel guilty, but I can't quite muster it--I love the buildings too much! But I will keep this in mind.
11th December 2013

Suffering and beauty
Actually, I was a bit flippant in my last reply to your thoughtful observation--sorry. I've actually known the suffering behind architectural beauty for a very long time. At home, I often lived near our beautiful mission, built with labor from indigenous people. When young, I felt angry about the exploitation, but as I aged, I learned to hold my feelings in balance--compassion for those who suffered and appreciation for the beauty created. As Ren said, it's important to remember this.
10th December 2013

UNCOVERING THE FACADE
The conqueror building over the sacred sites of the vanquished...amazing how often it happens in history. Hard to not think they thought they benefited from doing so. Amazing architecture, gilding, carvings, artefacts and textiles from Cusco, Tara. Nice to see you are uncovering the history, the facades, the beliefs and religiosity of the locales you inhabit...can't accuse you of just smelling the flowers!
11th December 2013

Peeling back the layers
Yes, David, I think each conqueror assumes their way is best, including the Inca who did their fair share of imposition on others. Cusco was perhaps the richest place I've visited in South America in terms of history and museums to tell that story. It is perfect for someone who has a serious case of the curious.
13th January 2014

You are pachymama!
I'm finally getting around to reading some blogs and I keep coming back to yours because I just love how you captured Cusco. Made me very whimsical, I too bit the bullet and did the touristy thing and I am not regretful. Another museum nerd like me!!
13th January 2014

Pachamama--wow!
That's quite a compliment, Andrea--thanks! So glad to know another museum nerd. Really, we learn so much in museums that I can't imagine visiting a place without learning about it in this hands-on, visual way. I even visit little, sincere regional museums with their lovingly preserved funky bits of the past. Maybe we'll meet in a Cabo museum, looking at cow skulls someday.
20th February 2014

Wow, tara!
Do you know that "Tarâ" in my language means "let's go"? As in vamonos! And that's exactly how i felt after reading your blog. I need to re-read it again. Just breezed through it while i'm on the road but just had to drop you this line. I love how you write, the pictures you take and how you travel. There! Very often, i rad and never bother to drop a comment. I'd do better next time. See you on this site again. Soon.
21st February 2014

What's in a name?
Thanks, Lili--I'm so glad you enjoy my work. I also love the way you travel (in your amazing family groups) and blog. Great to hear that Tara means "let's go" (in Tagalog, I guess). In Gaelic (from my mom), it means high, craggy mountain; in Farsi, it means pure, and in Japanese, it's cod fish. I imagine Lili, like Tara, a simple sound, exists in lots of languages. See you soon in the blog sphere!

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 17; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb