The end and the beginning


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
October 27th 2012
Published: October 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

we arrived back in Cusco in the evening and bid farewell to Harry and Richard who were on their way to Arequipa and Puno. I quite fancied to sample some street food and a black market so Ali and i headed to the poorer area of the city. There were mass celebrations going on in the centre but as we passed though the crowd and into the next district of the city, the number of foreigners dissipated and i was just in the company of the locals. As we entered the market area, there was a cart selling meat kebabs, i indicated that i would like one that looked like beef and topped with a potato and smothered it in chilli sauce. On the first bite it didn't taste like dog so i continued. It was very tasty and i nearly went back for seconds, but on the promise of further treats ahead i refrained. We passed further into the market, Peruvians, as you may well have seen on the news recently, take their markets VERY seriously!! This one was the biggest i've ever seen, it went on for not meters but blocks!!! They sold everything from your usual market tradables to TVs and electronics, thousands of branded trainers (fake and genuine), pushchairs and huge cuddly toys that wouldn't look out of place at the fairground!!! Some of the items looked used, Ali informed me that some of the goods were stolen, it was crazy that they were being sold so brazenly!! The police don't go near the markets!!! After perusing the aisles a little more, we headed outside to a tricycle vendor and ordered more food. We got Salchirron which was a sausage dish with rice, potatoes and chilli sauce and a litre of water for three soles = 75p!!! It was delicious, but huge, i couldn't finish my portion, plus i was saving room for dessert!!! We walked further and found another street vendor selling fried donut like rings, similar to Churros if you've had that but covered in honey. Again delicious!! So i ended up having a three course alfresco meal for 5.50 soles - that's about £1.38!!!!
We caught a local bus (i.e. a people carrier) back to the centre of Cusco which cost less than 20p, just in time for the fireworks to be in full swing. As part of the celebrations, tall cane structures had been created with individual firework displays plastered over them. There were about 20 cane structures in total each different. There was no sense of safety with fireworks shooting off into the crowd and nearby restaurants and some misfiring completely and setting other display's off!! The reaction of the crowd was hilarious, ooohs and ahhhhs as the fireworks went up and aarrrggghhhs are they realised they were heading back down in their direction. The celebrations went on well into the early hours of the morning, but I went back to the hotel to pack for the next couple of days travelling as i make my way into Columbia. Adios Chicas xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



6th November 2012

hello
£1.38... Bargain! Sounds like Portobello Market has some major competition! :-) xx

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb