Cusco


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
August 7th 2012
Published: August 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Before heading off on the Inca Trail, we spent three relaxing days exploring the town of Cusco and acclimatising to the altitude. Cusco is very similar to Arequipa with its main plaza surrounded by cathedrals, restaurants and shops, but it has its own distinct style with a mix of the Incas and Spanish. We enjoyed exploring the narrow and often steep streets which we used not only to gain the best vantage points for views of the city but also as training for the upcoming trek. We were a little concerned at this stage as we were very puffed and our hearts racing by the time we reached the top of one of these streets. On the first day, we happened to stumbled accross a military parade in the main square and throughout our stay we witnessed a number of dancers (mainly colourfully dressed young men) and bands performing at various locations around the town either celebrating Peru's independence, a religious occasion or just celebrating, as we have learned that Peruvians love to party!! Through visiting three of 17 cathedrals / churches in Cusco, as well as the Inca and pre-Colombian Museums, we gained a better understanding of the rich and varied cultures of the past, the strong relatioship Peruvians have with the Inca period and the continuing influence catholicism introduced by the Spanish has on the people of today. We continue to enjoy the food and friendly people of Peru. Read the next blog on how we survived the Inca Trail!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb