Our ATV adventure in Cusco


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
November 7th 2010
Published: November 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Cusco ATV Adenture... 171 secs
What’s that you say, two blogs in two days!! It’s a miracle. Well, we just thought that because we had such a fun day today, and the fact that the next few days are without computer but visiting big sites like Macchu Pichu and the Sacred Valley, we would do a nice short one of today, so here goes….
It’s a Saturday, so we were inclined to have another sleep-in. Unbeknownst to us, it was 9am before we knew it, so we quickly got ready, had some brekky for only 10 soles (AUD$4) and then went about trying to pack our bags. We have bought a few bulky but light items, which we had to squish in and still be under 20kg / bag. We accomplished this mission, with 3kg to spare!! YAY!! Jess had booked a massage for 11am at a highly recommended place, so upon picking her up, Mischa had some time to kill at the hotel. Full body, relaxation massage from head to toe for only AUD$25 was unheard of and too good to pass up. Jess came back all relaxed, a little sore where the knots were punished, and just wanted to go to sleep. Unfortunately, it was lunch time, and then it was up the road to our next adventure, an All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) tour around the back streets of Cusco.
Lunch was rushed but good (our 1st Peruvian pizza), and then we headed up the road. We were a bit wary about leaving our original passports in the office, especially as there was no safe and only a glass-padlocked door between them and the black market, but we went with it. We also had Stu, another Tucan truck driver, and Rob, a passenger with Stu, joining us, so that made 4 plus the guide. At the office, we filled out the paperwork saying there was no insurance for the bikes or us ( :-) ) and then had to try and catch a taxi to our start point. This was harder than normal, but finally found the tiniest taxi ever to fit us 4 in while the owner followed on a scooter. We were sure the information given was to follow the scooter, but soon enough we had lost the scooter (turned the opposite direction) and were on our way. Eventually we made it to the start point, a grass field where the instructions were given on how to work the bikes and then a bit of practice time. The bikes were actually semi-automatic, so Jess had to get used to using a hand throttle and changing gears with the flick of a foot. After 10mins practice, it was time to get under away!!
First part of the trip was along the bitumen, until we reached the back roads of Cusco and started climbing up the hillside. It was a bit slow (even Jess thought!!), but there was enough technical parts to keep us interested. The views over Cusco started to get better, and the speed got faster too!! We were pretty much used to the bikes when we arrived a nice big open field with a perfect spot for some donuts!! Mischa was straight out there, picking up heaps of dust but having a ball. After a while though, he bit off more than he could chew and turned over the bike. Amazingly Jess caught it on video, so enjoy the video!! 😊 After enough donuts, and then some sprints up the field, we headed off again, happy that we had had the chance to flog the bikes a bit!! Just up the road, we stopped at another nice lookout point for some photos, before then thinking we were heading home. It was then another nice surprise when we stopped at a lake with a sort of track around half of it. After riding around to the other side, we realised that there was actually a jump coming back, so all the blokes had a go at getting some decent air. Mischa was able to get a good picture of Stu as he went over the jump!! By then, we were VERY happy, and as there were numerous storm clouds and teasing drops of rain, we started the long ride back to where we started. It was again lots of technical riding, but lots of fun, and as we pulled into our finishing point, we were all COVERED in dust but absolutely pleased with the ride. For less than AUD$40 each, it was definitely worth it!! After a quick check of the bikes to make sure we hadn’t broken anything (especially Mischa’s overturned bike), it was time to fend for ourselves to get a taxi back to our waiting passports. We were a bit nervous when we arrived and it was all locked up, but soon enough someone let us in, and we were straight into the shower to be clean again!!
A fantastic day, and something we won’t forget too quickly!! Enjoy the video!! 😊


Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0204s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb