Day 11-12


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
May 24th 2010
Published: May 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

At Cuzco cityAt Cuzco cityAt Cuzco city

Another city fountain, at the main square
Day 11

Most of day 11 was spent travelling from Puno to Cusco (7 hours inca class, which is the best of the best in bus travels). We arrive at Cusco around 2pm, the city seems to be buzzing, must be due to the constant influx of ´gringos´(tourist) they have coming year in year out to see Machu Picchu.

The city feels clean and safe, there are numerous nice restaurants, bars and drinking holes to visit. Walking around the city centre, you gte the feel that this city is buzzing with an air of excitement. We spend the afternoon wandering around the city, to get our barrings, our hostel is very centrally located next to the Sun Museum, so there´s not mch chance of missing it.

The group spent the evening dinning at a local (but it felt more like a gringo restarant), as all tables were either Americian or English, and every table ordered the local delicatissen, the Guinea Pig! As this was the place to eat it, we too did not fall shy, and ordered a guinea pig to be shared by 3 of us. It was not a disappointment, when it came there was the compulsary photo shot of the animal on the plate, to me it tasted quite a lot like duck. The meat was tender and flavoursome, but there really wasnt that much meat on it, was definitely worth trying.

Day 12

After our induction meeting yesterday at the hostel, we had to prepare for our trek tomorrow. There was a list of items needed for the trek, and what better as we had a free day in Cusco city, we purchased toilet papers, wet wipes, snacks, beanies... etc anything that would make the next 3 nights sleeping in a sleeping bag and no showers more comfortable.

We visited a place called Jack´s cafe for breakfast, which serves up all the usual brekkies that we are more accustomed to. I had scrambled eggs with bacon and a cafe latte, oh, it felt good to eat something more familar again. Man, i miss a good coffee in the morning, but good coffee is definitely hard to come by here.

So we spent the day wandering back and forth, round and round. We had a duffle bag which we were about to fill to 6kgs, including the weight of the sleeping
Guinea Pig...Guinea Pig...Guinea Pig...

yumm..... it tastes just like duck....
bag, which is carried by the porters, everything else would be carried by ourselves.

An early night as next morning, we were starting at 5.30am!!!

Now that all is cleaned, packed and weighed and ready to go, there just leaves the problem of falling asleep, i dont know if it was nerves or excitement, but that night i couldnt get to sleep.... must be the anticipation of fulfilling a long awaited dream of mine!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Jack's breakfastJack's breakfast
Jack's breakfast

The best cup of coffee so far!!!
12 sided square12 sided square
12 sided square

... i dont get what it means, but its supposed to be sacred!!!
Nice to meet you...Nice to meet you...
Nice to meet you...

The people in Peru are so friendly and happy....
Cuzo city 2Cuzo city 2
Cuzo city 2

What a view hey?


Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 14; qc: 49; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb