Cusco and beyond...


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
April 14th 2010
Published: May 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

OK, I know - we are lazy. It's been well over a month since the last blog, but here's what we've been up to.

Back in April....

We had a night bus to Cusco with big 1st class lazyboy style bus seats which was nice, and (as a treat) we also had two fat snoring Peruvians behind us for 12 hrs! Still, I'm sure we brought a little English snoring to the party so we can't complain too much.

Cusco is the starting point for Machu Picchu, so there's a load of tourists about - more than anywhere else we've been. The only problem with this is there's people trying to sell you hats/massages/dinner/etc everywhere you go. Among other things, I now own a hat with llamas on it and a spiderman finger-puppet as a result of the hard selling! It's a good looking place though, and they had a big museum on the Incas.

On the way to Machu Picchu we stopped at the finely named Ollantaytambo - a little town in the 'Sacred Valley' - which was pretty near where we needed to get the train from. Me and the guys climbed a hill here
Sunset Sunset Sunset

after climbing the hill at Ollantaytambo
so there's some good shots over the town of an old Inca fortress that Mum and Dad went to see. We also did a bit of white water rafting, which was great. It was the first time for me and Sarah, and we loved it. At the end we all jumped off a bridge into the river - pretty extreme!

The valley on the way to Machu Picchu was beautiful, with the Urabamba river and it's rapids all the way down. We stayed for a couple of nights next to Machu Picchu ruins, in the little town nearby. It wasn't the nicest place, and our hostel was no nicer! The guy who worked there called himself "Number One", and used a list-reading-selling-technique, where he would list things (countries/states in america/etc) to you until you could take no more, and take a room at his hostel! Sorry about that Mum and Dad!

The ruins were amazing though, and really lived up to the hype. It's a ridiculous place to build a city, but it does look great. Round every corner's another amazing view, and you could even climb up a nearby mountain to look down on the city from
Inca fortressInca fortressInca fortress

Also at Ollantaytambo
some even more ridiculously placed ruins. Me Ryan and Kees did it, but it was a bit dodgy - lots of steep steps and massive drops!

After this we made our way back to Cusco where we had some left luggage, and a couple of days later Ma and Pa had a flight home. We had a good time with the folks about, and I'm sure they enjoyed it too. Dad even managed to avoid the guinea pig dinner that had worried him so much - none of us have had the guts to try it yet. They look nasty.

Just Me Sarah Ryan and Kees left after that, with plans to get into the jungle....


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Up above Machu PicchuUp above Machu Picchu
Up above Machu Picchu

This is on the top of the big peak you can see behind the ruins in the next picture
Curious little fellaCurious little fella
Curious little fella

The local lawnmower!


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb