Cusco


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
April 10th 2009
Published: May 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We arrived at Cusco at 5am so we went straight to a hostel to have sleep for a while. When we woke up we went for a walk around town, starting at the magnificent Plaza de Armas of clear colonial style and on the sides the Cathedral, La Iglesia de la Compania de Jesus and all the rest with very nice archades which were full of restaurants,shops, travel agents, etc. Cusco was the heart of the Inca Empire and now was all the coloniarl splendour which was built by the Spanish from the stone foundations of the Incas. For dinner we all went to one of the many restaurants offering a set meal with desert and drink for 15 soles. I tried Palta a la Reina (Stuffed avocado - delicious).
The following day we changed to a nicer hotel in a colonial style building with an interior patio, with archades, etc and we also booked a city tour, a tour of the Sacred Valle and a Machu Pichu tour all with the same company so we got a good price for all. I could give you a little bit of history and legends about Cusco, which I found fascinating, and going to read more about it, but you may find it boring so I won’t. Cusco is at 3200m of altitude however after being higher in Bolivia, I think I’m finally ok with the altitude, with no headaches, etc. That afternoon we took the city tour which actually only visits one site inside Cusco as the rest are outside. Our first stop was Qorikancha, the Inca site that forms the base of the colonial church of Iglesia de Santo Domingo. It’s interesting to see how the Inca walls survived Cusco’s historic hearthquakes, and not the church, and that’s how it was discovered. In Inca times, Qorikancha (Quechua for Golden Courtyard) was literally covered in gold. It was not only used for religious rites but was also an observatory from which priests monitored major celestial activities. Today, all that remains is the masterful stonework, as the Spanish Conquistadors looted the rest. From there they took us to Saqsaywaman, which means Satisfied Falcon (Halcon Saciado). This place took around 77 years to get build, and I’m not surprised looking at the huge carved stones holding it together with no cement, just impressive, and we can only see about 20% of the original structure as after the Spanish conquest, the Spaniards tore down walls and used the blocks to build their own houses in Cusco. The Inca Pachacuted envisioned Cusco in the shape of a puma, one of the 3 sacred animals of the Incas (the other ones are the snake - the Amazon River; and the Condor - Machu Pichu) with this place as the head of the puma, and the 22 zigzag walls forming the teeth. I just find it fascinating. The next place we visited was Q’enco, which was a religious sanctuary for ceremonies of cult to fertilitay. Lastly we visited Tambomachay, which was/is a beautiful ceremonial bath, still channelling clear spring water that earns it the title of El Bano del Inca (Inca’s Bath). It is also known as the Fountain of Eternal Youth, so I had to try a little bit of the water, and I think I already feel younger!!! Scientist have tried to find out where the water comes from without any success as it’s always running no matter the season. These Incas were very intelligent for sure.
The following day it was time for the tour of the Sacred Valley of the Urubamba River, which is about 15km North of Cusco as the condor flies. Our first stop was a handicrafts market, where we all end up buying some things. It’s all so nice and cheap that is difficult to resist. Then to our fist arqueological site, Pisac (at 2715m of altitude). There are two distinctive parts: the colonial village beside the river and the Inca Fortress perched dramatically on a mountain above. It was an espectacular climb up through the terraces, sweeping around mountainous flanks and along cliff-hugging footpaths defended by massive stone doorways, vertigo-inducing staircases and a short tunnel carved out of the rock. This place was just amazing… and I still haven’t seen the best of the best…Machu Pichu. For lunch we stopped at Urubamba in a nice restaurant with lunch buffet with lots of nice regional food and wonderful Peruvian music. Then it was time to visti Ollantaytambo (at 2800m) which was a military complex as well as religious, administrative and agricultural. This is also the best surviving example of Inca city planning. Its narrow cobblestone streets have been continuously inhabited for over 700 years. The espectacular steep terraces guarding the Inca complex mark one of the few places where the Spanish Conquistadors lost a major battle. On the way back we stopped at Chinchero were we were shown the traditional methods of the llama textiles, how they coloured them with natural ingredients, etc and then another market and more shopping!


Llegamos a Cusco a las 5 de la manana asi que nos fuimos directamente a un hotel a dormir un rato. Cuando nos despertamos nos fuimos dar un paseo por la ciudad, empezando en la magnifica Plaza de Armas de estilo colonial, con su catedral a un lado, la Iglesia de la Compania de Jesus al otro y el resto con bonitas arcadas llenas de restaurantes, tiendas y agencias de viajes. Cusco fue el corazon del Imperio Inca y ahora tenia todo el esplendor colonial que habia sido construido por los espanoles con las piedras que fundaron los Incas. Para cenar nos fuimos a uno de los muchos restaurantes que ofrecian menu con bebida incluida por 15 soles. Probe la Palta a la Reina (Aguacate relleno) que estaba deliciosa.
Al dia siguiente despues de cambiarnos a otro hotel mas bonito y de estilo colonial con su patio interior, sus arcos, etc reservamos un tour de la ciudad, otro del Valle Sagrado y el mas importante, Machu Pichu. Os podria dar un poco de historia y leyendas sobre Cusco, ya que lo encuentro fascinante y voy a leer mas a cerca de ello, pero puede que vosotros lo encontreis aburrido asi que de momento no lo hare. Cusco esta a 3200m sobre el nivel del mar, pero despues de estar en Bolivia a mas altitud creo que finalmente me he adaptado a la altitud y ya no tengo dolores de cabeza. Esa tarde tomamos el tour de la ciudad que realmente solo visita un sitio en Cusco ya que el resto estan a las afueras. Nuestra primera parada fue Qorikancha, el lugar Inca que forma la base de la Iglesia colonial de Santo Domingo. Es interesante ver como los muros Incas sobrevivieron los famosos terremotos de Cusco, mientras que la Iglesia no, y asi fue como este lugar fue descubierto ya que la iglesia lo habia cubierto por completo. En los tiempos de los Incas, Qorikancha (que en quechua significa Patio Dorado) estaba literalmente cubierto de oro. No solo se uso para ritos religiosos pero tambien como observatorio donde los curas vigilaban las actividades de las estrellas. Hoy todo lo que queda de el es el magnifico trabajo de piedra, ya que los conquistadores Espanoles se llevaron todo el oro que habia. De ahi nos llevaron a Saqsaywaman, que significa Halcon Saciado. Se tardaron alrededor de 77 anos en contruir este lugar, y no me extrana viendo las enormes rocas carvadas, y como se aguantan todas juntas sin ningun cemento que las sujete, basicamente increible, y eso que solo podemos ver el 20% de la estructura original, ya que despues de la Conquista, los espanoles derrumbaron los muros y se llevaron las piedras para construir sus casas en Cusco. El Inca Pachacuted vio a Cusco en la forma de un puma, uno de los 3 animales sagrados de la Trilogia Inca (los otros son la serpiente - que es el Rio Amazonas, y el Condor - que es Machu Pichu) siendo Saqsaymanan la cabeza del puma, y los muros haciendo zig zag los dientes. Lo encuentro realmente fascinante. El siguiente lugar que visitamos fue Q’enco, que fue un santuario religioso donde se celebraban ritos del culto a la fertilidad. Finalmente el ultimo lugar que visitamos fue Tambomachay, que solia/es un bonito bano para ceremonias, del cual todavia hoy en dia sale agua clarita, por lo que se llama el Bano del Inca. Tambien se le conoce como la Fuente de la Eterna Juventud, asi que tuve que probar un poco de agua…y creo que ya me siento mas joven!!! Cientificos han intentado encontrar de donde llega el agua sin exito, ya que es un misterio de donde sale ya que nunca ha parado sin importar la temporada del ano. Estos Incas eran bien inteligentes!
Al dia siguiente tomamos el tour del Valle Sagrado del Rio Urubamba, que esta a unos 15km al norte de Cusco por donde vuela el condor. Nuestra primera parada fue un mercadillo donde vendian todo tipo de artesanias, y donde acabamos comprandonos algunas cositas. Todo es tan bonito y barato que es dificil resistirse. Despues visitamos nuestro primer lugar arqueologico, Pisac (a 2715m sobre el nivel del mar). Se podian distingir 2 partes, la parte del pueblo colonial al lado del rio y la Fortaleza Inca que parecia estar colgada en la montana. Fue una subida espectacualr a traves de las terrazas, asegurandonos que no nos caiamos por ninguno de los barrancos, pasando por escaleras de vertigo y tuneles carvados en las rocas. Este lugar es simplemente increible… y eso que todavia no he visto lo mejor de lo mejor…Machu Pichu!! Para comer paramos en Urubamba en un bonito restaurante estilo buffet con mucha comida regional y maravillosa musica peruana. De ahi nos llevaron a Ollantaytambo (a 2800m sobre el nivel del mar) que fue un complejo militar asi como religioso, administrativo y agricola. Este es uno de los mejores ejemplos que han sobrevivido de la manera de los Incas de planificar las ciudades. Sus calles estrechas de piedra han sido habitadas (y son hoy en dia) por mas de 700 anos. Las espectaculares terrazas guardando el complejo Inca marca uno de los pocos lugares donde los Conquistadores Espanoles perdieron una gran batalla. De camino de vuelta paramos en Chinchero donde nos ensenaron las maneras tradicionales de tejer la lana de llama y como la tintan con diferentes colores, todos sacados de ingredientes naturales. De ahi a otro mercadillo…y mas compras!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 61, Displayed: 29


Advertisement

yes, it's guinea pigyes, it's guinea pig
yes, it's guinea pig

Si es conejillo de indias


Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0822s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb