Cusco and Machu Picchu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
May 22nd 2009
Published: May 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sorry it has taken so long to get our blog up. I received an email last Sunday as we were leaving for Cusco from Lima saying there was going to be a worker´s strike and our train tickets to Machu Picchu for Tuesday and Wednesday were cancelled. So we went into panic mode.

So arriving at the hotel in Cusco about 6pm we talked with our taxi and decided to get up at 2:30 the next morning and drive through the mountains to Ollantaytambo to the train station to get there as it opened the next morning at 6am. After fighting with PeruRail Erika successfully secured tickets to Machu Picchu and return to Cusco the same day. The train was not running Tuesday and Wednesday at all so we had to get a ticket back Monday or we would be stuck there until Thursday and lose the rest of the trip.

So we got to go see Machu Picchu on Monday and worked the rest of the week on rerouting all of our plans. I think we got some great pictures! We did not get to venture out very far into the Sacred Valley so that means a return trip for anyone who is interested! Sorry there are no captions on the pictures but the computer I am using is kind of slow. The first couple are Ollantaytambo, then the train to Machu Picchu, Machu Picchu itself, Cusco and the ruins just outside the city, and finally some pictures from the plane. Enjoy the pictures...


Additional photos below
Photos: 75, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb