Into Inca country


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
May 6th 2009
Published: May 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Cusco


Arrived bright and early (6 am) with not the faintest idea of where we would stay. As expected there was a number of touts at the bus station to meet us. One of them latched on to us and took us on a grand tour of supposedly $20 USD rooms. Most were dark, smelly rooms and the rest were much more expensive.

Finally ended up in a lovely Hotel for $25 US/night incl breakfast and Wifi (Hotel De Sur), advertised prices were nearly double this. Only 4 of us stayed the first night and only us two for the second night. Wifi was hard to connect in the room but fine in the dining room and entry lounge. Had a late breakfast in the Plaza before heading out to see the sights, but only lasted until around 11am before having to head back to the hotel for an hours nap.

We then headed back out to pick up our 10 day tourist ticket and start on the sites covered by it. Big demonstration in the Plaza by tourist guides complaining about a new law that would allow anyone to call themselves a guide. After looking at a couple more sites we decided to take a bus tour the following day out to Saqsaywaman and another 3 sites and then also booked our seats through to Puno for the following week (things are getting far busier here now and we are trying to book as far in advance as possible).

Lunch the next day was empanadas and churros (pies and doughnuts!) from a bakery next door to the Hotel - one of the best meals we have had so far in Peru and only 9 soles (3 USD). The tour to Saqsaywamanwas rushed as we expected but was probably good value as if we had it by ourselves we may not have pushed on to the other sites. Interesting that all the companies running tours start them at the same time (2 pm) which means that everyone arrives together and the guides have to compete with each other to get the story across. Our guide delivered everything in Spanish, Italian and English (for Jill and I!).

Next stop Ollaytantambo





Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Cusco rain in the hillsCusco rain in the hills
Cusco rain in the hills

First time we have seen rain this trip.
Help neededHelp needed
Help needed

This water is supposed to make you younger!
striationsstriations
striations

Glacial striations at Saqsaywaman


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb