Cusco


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
January 6th 2009
Published: January 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

I am writing this from the beautiful city of Cusco... an amalgamation of tumbling down houses, colonial architecture and Inca buildings. The streets are full of hawkers, eager to sell you the touristy things; hats, gloves, dolls, cigarettes...anything and everything. The weather is cold but the sun is strong. I have fallen in love with the place.

We arrived early afternoon into the Capital of the Incas and straight away set about exploring this fasincating and colourful city. From the bustling cetral plaza we found it easy to explore the different areas of the city.

The following day, with our guide Helga, we visted The sacred vally; Ollantaytambo, Pisac. PisacĀ“s ancient citadel is set in an inposing position, enclosed between high hills and set amongst agricultural terraces. Set above a valley floor patchworked by different coloured fields the citedal was magnificant. Elga showed us around and provided us with an amazing insite into how the Incas lived and worshiped the land. Pisac is distributed across the hillside and we ventured through tunnels and cliff edge paths to ancient temple. The views from the citadel were fantastic. From Pisac we had lunch in what has to be the most beautiful hotel. It was set amidst flowers off all colours and had around 20 bungalows scattered across the grounds. I remember hearing nothing but birds and the distant rumble of the river...uter tranquility. One day i am going to come back and stay in number 16, which to me was the most perfect. After a delicious lunch of ceviche (fish cooked in lemon juice) we headed onto Ollantaytambo which again was perfectly situated. Apparently according to Helga, the Incas only chose beautiful areas to build. The inca terraces rise high into the mountains and we climbed to the top which provided us with breathtaking views. We could see a grumpy face carved into the rock on the mountain opposite.

Yesterday we visted Machu Picchu... it was awe-inspiring. It is situated in what seems to be the perfect place. Nestled between unusually shaped mountains the Citadel watches over the world from its 4000m ledge on the world. We arrive by train; a 4 hour journey from Cusco but the views made the journey worthwhile. Even though Machu Picchu is lower than Cusco, it appears high due to the steepness of the mountain where it is situated. We explore the city with our trustworthy guide; Mr Jon Howarth himself! I have never visited such a place. Despite the amount of tourists all wearing the multicoloured ponchos, the city still claims elements of silence, you can imagine the people living there on their rooftop palace away from the outside world, until the Spanish colonised the area and the Incas fled. Machu Picchu remained untouched from Modern eyes until it was discovered in 1911.

I will be sad to leave Cusco but there are more exciting times ahead.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb