Cuzco - Peru


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
October 15th 2008
Published: October 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

CuscoCuscoCusco

Photo from one of the paths from Plaza De armas
Thanks to Clair (our tour operator in the UK) for booking the window seat. As we arrive in Cusco we saw snow capped mountains and the view of the city as we landed was great. We were picked up by the agent who took us to our hotel (located at the bottom of Ave De Sol). We booked the city tour (explained later) Machu Picchu (would have liked to have spent a night near the site but the hotel price was $900) so we opted for the day trip: taxi, train, taxi, bus, and a day in the sacred valley.

That evening we had dinner in an Italian which was great, meal for two with wine came to 70Sols about 14quid or 22dollars US.

We both had a slight head ache (due to the altitude 3200M).

16.10.08 - walked up Av De Sol to the main plaza (still had a slight headache) Plaza de Armas. Again a lovely plaza ( six churches) with people sitting talking, very clean (infact up to now all the cities have been very clean, makes London look like the shit hole it really is). Walked off the main plaza on cobbled streets (still
CuscoCuscoCusco

Plaza De armas
got some in Bolton for those that want to see some). Neither of us was hungury so we went back to the hotel, and waited to be picked up for the city tour.

City tour: consisted of 2 Ozs couples (looks like the Oz´s are taking over from the Japs these days), a German couple, an American couple and us. Our guide (again very good, answered all the questions) initially took us to the Basilica church, explaining the Spanish conquest, and their building of churches on Inca sites. There was a black jesus (made of cotton) on the main alter, this the guide explained was because the indiginous people were darker than the Spanish decendants and the burning of candles (now it´s light candles) caused the dark brown jesus to turn black. One other interesting thing was a picture of "the last supper", but here Judas was facing us and was painted with the face of the first Spanish conquerer as a piss take, this was reflected in other paintings. The guide said they were not sure why the Spaniards allowed this.

Next stop Saqsaywaman, this is the site of Inca pyramids about 3700M. We were told to
CuscoCuscoCusco

Plaza De armas
wear warm clothes, which all but the two very large Americans did. The view of the city from here was really good. (see pics next I hope). We then visited the sacred water springs at Tambomachay. Here we had to walk up hill about 200M, which the Americans found hard.

Last stop was the Qénqo caves. The guide explained that this was were the kings and queens were mumified. By this time the American woman was shivering and got her hubby to buy her a cardigan (which was two sizes to small for her, but hay that´s yanks for you).

We got dropped of in the main Plaza, looked at the restaurants ( still not hungry ) and came across an Indian. Dinner was Ok not to (Akbar´s standard by miles) and cost 73Sols with a good bottle of vino tinto.

On the way back to the hotel we bought the ubiquitous hats for our trip to Machu Picchu.

17.10.08 Kay´s birthday today, so we thought she should have a massage etc. We will go to the main plaza later and see what we can do.

Next blog will be Monday after Machu Picchu and the sacred valley.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

CuscoCusco
Cusco

Part of a Inca wall exposed after the 1960 earthquake
CuscoCusco
Cusco

Inca´s chisled plugs and socket to join blocks of stone.
CuscoCusco
Cusco

Fat American got in the way of the phote of a Liama
CuscoCusco
Cusco

Pyramids build on hill sides


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb