Cusco - Peru


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
September 22nd 2008
Published: September 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Cusco - United nations of gringos (meaning hassle me on the streets then charge me double)

Is it just us or are our blogs getting longer? well then, it must just be you.....we spent an agonising night at lima airport during our transfer to cusco and following the 'night from hell´we arrived in town very sore, sleepy and swollen due to altitude (3500m above sea level!). but Cusco is not the type of city where you play 'lay down sally'....after the initial 24 hours, we acclimatised to the altitude (although our bodies were still auditioning for the wind section of a brass band) and immersed ourselves into the gringo culture that defines this town. We still however managed to pay heed to the well preserved peruvian way of life that includes colourful local outfits, long braids, sundried faces and the odd llama-on-a-leash to boot.• City highlights: The steep climb to view the Inca ruins of Sacsayhuamán (sexy woman) which we were then too cheap to buy admission into; walking through the grand Qorikancha - a magnificent blend of modern architecture and ancient inca ruins that have been pristinely preserved; the street procession we witnessed in the main plaza with giant paper mache llama and dancers; being accidentally caught up in a local protest and having to extract ourselves as the crowds started madly running down the streets.• Accommodation: 4/5 for our stay at Piccola Locanda; a benevolent pousada that donates it's proceedings to helping local street children obtain an education and develop practical trade skills i.e. baking - they bake the BEST cookies• Food: a great mix of local cuisine (did i say guinea pig?) and international grub. we've been loyal patrons to jack's cafe where the hamburger, pancakes and oversized toasties are to die for• Misc: the frightening number of baby llamas being carted around dressed like dolly by small peruvian children for tourist photo opportunities; jean's innate ability to spot the only discreet mcdonald´s in town regardless of her blinding altitude sickness; the breathtaking (literally) walk up to our pousada that has us collapsing with exhaustion over the threshold everytime; watching a premier league football match in the highest irish pub in the world! (make sure to get the shepherd's pie; it is mouthwateringly delicious).


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb