Puno to Cusco


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
December 16th 2007
Published: December 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Los UrosLos UrosLos Uros

The villagers at Los Uros floating islands
So we left Arequipa by bus to travel to Puno. When we got to Puno we found out that the trains to Cusco only run a few days a week so we will have to stay in Puno until Saturday, my birthday. We decided that we will travel in style and have booked first class tickets.

We went to Los Uros, which are floating islands made of reeds on Lake Titicaca. There are loads of these islands and we visited two of them. We saw how they keep the islands going by making new layers of reeds to replace the ones that have rotted. We also visited another island called Taquile, and had lunch in an islanders house. They showed us how they made their traditional clothing and sung songs and did a dance. Miles was invited to join in the dancing, and pretended he didn´t enjoy it.

The following morning Mandy was unwell again so we decided to call a doctor. After a consultation in Mandy´s bedroom she was diagnosed with travellers tummy and was given anti-biotics and some other medicines. While she rested Miles, Chris and I went to a hill overlooking Puno and Lake Titicaca.

After a few days in Puno we got our first class train to Cusco. I opened my birthday presents (handbag, purse, t-shirt, turtle ornament from Galapagos, earrings and a finger puppet llama) and my hand made birthday cards. The journey was excellent with big comfortable chairs, a bar and a viewing compartment. I also got a free cocktail from the train company.

When we got to Cusco we had a bit of trouble finding a hostel, but eventually decided to pay a bit more than we wanted to and stay in a nice place. We went to the travel agency and paid the balance of our Inka trail and also booked 2 porters to carry our bags. Having read a few other peoples reports of the trek we think it will be hard enough without carrying our gear. Thankfully Mandy is feeling well enough to do the trek.

So next up the Inka trail.

Tina










Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Champagne on my birthdayChampagne on my birthday
Champagne on my birthday

On the train from Puno to Cusco
More champagneMore champagne
More champagne

At the viewing area at the back of the train


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0216s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb