And so it begins...


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Aguas Calientes
September 15th 2006
Published: September 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post


CuzcoCuzcoCuzco

This is the view of Cuzco from the dining area of the Loki Hostel
Greetings from Peru,

Beth and took the four hour train ride from Cuzco to here this morning. Aguas Calientes is also known as Machu Picchu Village, being that it is only a 30 minute bus ride up to the site. Our plan is to hit it up the bus ride early tomorrow morning and watch the sun rise of the city in the sky.

Aguas Calientes is a little town on a small river and surrounded by these lush green mountains the just rocket up almost vertically. I can´t imagine what it must be like to live here. There are apparently hot springs, hence the name of the town, but they have been described as a murky smelly common bath so we are gonna pass. We went to the museum and botanical gardens instead.

Yesterday was our first day of the trip and we spent it exploring Cuzco. We actually left LA on Wednesday around 1 pm but then we had to fly to Miami, then to Lima, and then finally to Cuzco so it was about 7am on thursday when we were finally done flying. The flights were awful. Planes got delayed and we almost missed our
Plaza de ArmasPlaza de ArmasPlaza de Armas

Meet Fracisquito, seen here from the balcony of the coffee shop. Some people have gnomes, we have an elephant Beth designed.
connection but with a little line cutting and our first run in with St. Christopher of the trip we made it five minutes before they stopped boarding.

Cuzco was interesting. Weak adjective I know but I am really tired. The altitude is killer. After checking to Hostel Loki and finding the other girl in our dorm room was so ill she couldn´t get out of bed we went exploring. The market was first. It was all the standard woven goods, trinkets and the like plus what I guess you could call a farmer´s market. Oh man, can you say health code violation. They had skinless chickens just piled on the counter and you could definitly tell they had been there all day. Same goes for the beef, pig´s heads, assorted hooves and tounges, livers, and yes of course rocky mountain oysters. Surprisingly though the smell wasn´t so bad. Oh yeah and you can buy fresh pig skin by the kilo.

Moving on, we then went to the Plaza de Armas which is the city center. We found a nice little coffee shop with a second story balcony over looking the square which was quite nice. We had some damn good food at a random restraunt down a back alley. My innards are fine so far in case you´re wondering. The last, we hike up a ton of steps to some ruins that over look the city. The view was amazing. At night we met some Irish guys at our hostel who were, surprisingly enough, getting hammered at about 6pm. They explained to us the phase, ¨What´s the craic (pronounced crack)¨. We were sure they had some real problems before the explanation cleared things up. Unfortunalty Beth and I had to go to bed (or at least that was our excuese) before happy hour which is 10pm to 11pm and cosists of two double shots of vodka for 6 soles ($1 is about 3.2 soles).

Anyway, we are having a blast. I can´t believe I am going to be doing this for a year but now that I´m in it the stress has gone and it´s just one day at a time.

Now I am going to attempt for the first time to upload pictures and videos so if they aren´t up when you read this know I am trying. This travel blog has a ton of features, none of which I know how to use so bear with me. Hope all is well back in the homeland.

Peace out,

Aaron

Advertisement



17th September 2006

How cool
It all sounds so great! I love Fracisquito! Love, Mom
18th September 2006

your innards
Yes, I was wondering about your innards and am gald to hear all is well with them. After all, I am your mom. Love, Mom
18th September 2006

who is the little green furry creature that came with you on your trip?
18th September 2006

LOVE
You sound great. B safe and get used to my crappy spelling and puncuation. Thanks for the last call I love u both later Aunt bridgeee
30th September 2006

Awesome
Sounds like you guys are having an awesome adventure! I love it that you are posting blogs!
5th October 2006

Drum
Thanks so mich for letting annie use ur drum.....she has a great cousin.......she loves hearing from yall.....love Aunt B

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0728s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb